HTML5 semantics

Hi,

I just compleetd the HTML part of the freecodecamp course content, i already have knowledge of HTML.
It caught me by surprise that there as no course content on HTML5 semantics i.e. section, article, aside, mark, small e.t.c. Are there any plans to insert this within the syllabus?

Did you see the whole curriculum?

yes i could not see anything related to HTML5 after explaining the skeleton of the HTML it jumps straight to CSS.

There are more HTML5 and semantics under Applied Accessibility.

1 Like

ok, thank you, i think that provides a room for improvement within FCC syllabus structure.
Another heading should be added for HTML5.

1 Like

Why? A newbie doesn’t care what version a HTML element was added.
If you think things are missing they should be added to existing HTML lessons.

@JohnnyBizzel

True you could place it into the existing HTML lessons however, HTML5 should have its own category, why?

• there are slight differences between HTML 4/5
  • most Udemy courses i have done segregate HTML5 into its own section
  • new attributes were introduced
  • declarations at the beginning of the hml doc is completely different
  • New block level tags that replace Divs
  • easier to track and distinguish between the 2 (easier for newbies)

You’ll care if you end up in a job where you can’t use 5…which even in this day and age is very plausible. I agree highlighting differences may be a good add.

@salv236 Have you considered adding to the github repo for this?

@Tirjasdyn thank you, i added an issue to the Github Repo

But all browsers support semantic HTML5. And if you are not sure you can always check:

If this is all you need adding, I’m not sure it merits a new section. But I’m not making the decision so let’s see what happens.

@JohnnyBizzel

in my opinion a new section is required with exercises and detailed definitions of the HTML5 semantics.
An issue has been raised it will be the decision of FCC whether the a new section will be added.

No not all browser do.

All the latest version of the browsers do, certainly. However things are not that straight forward. Items where you really need to have a solid foundation of HTML 4 and only get to sigh longingly at HTML5:

• Email Development
  • Financial Dev that is still depending on IE6
  • Any corporation that invested heavily in older MS technologies and are reluctant to upgrade.
  • Software dev that wants to support older systems.

While you don’t see a lot of news or tech talk around this, it is way more prevalent than is ideal. The first time you get told to design in HTML 4 tables, it would way less painless if you were taught 4/5.

1 Like

@salv236

I just did technical documentation on html5 semantics if you are interested :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure I get the benefit here, given that FCC is targeted at beginners. Many HTML5 features have been in use for nigh-on 10 years, I’m finding it difficult to see what benefit there is segregating out features that exist in most environments (and are now generally part of the standard toolkit). FCC uses HTML5 stuff where relevant without marking it off as special, why should it be marked as special? And how do you differentiate (beyond a few very obvious things like sectioning elements)?

I have to ask: why do you think explicitly showing differences between the version of HTML that stopped development in 2000, and the current version (the one in almost universal use) is going to make things clearer (rather than extremely confusing) for new learners?

Edit: re “New block level tags that replace Divs” - the new[ish] sectioning elements don’t replace divs.

Exactly the reason why it should have its own section for beginners, they need to be aware that it exists, there are differences in markup, in particular the block elements, they should be aware of the definitions of the new tags, its purpose and its use not to mention how important is is to use them for SEO reasons.

NB: not all divs can be replaced by new block level elements there are situations where they can be used i.e if you have a div with a heading and some paragraphs that can easily be replaced by a section tag.

@shimpillip

Thank you this looks great. this is what should be added to the curriculum with exercises.