Erased from your database?

Hi,

You have seem to have erased my from your database. I lost all my progress and you’re asking me to contribute which I have been doing for more than a year now.

I have always logged in with my email address, never in a different manner but on the forum I don’t really remember how I logged in. I’m always told I’m entering the wrong password and that you’ve found an email address and then I click on a link and see my github account.

The loss of progress is not that terrible because I still have the projects I submitted and I’m still contributing. I don’t mind it all that much but I would prefer not to lose my progress again and somehow i would like it to be linked to the person ‘mientje’ on the forum
(that name was a bad idea from the start but I can’t get rid of it).

Greets,
Karin

1 Like

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a community of millions of people, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a modal that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save a copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

1 Like

Thank you for this quick reply

In my settings I cannot see my certificates. I got the responsive design certificate and the js algorithms certificate. The solutions are gone. I had started on the frontend library challenges as well. It’s all gone. I still have them in codepen and I’m going through the challenges again, it’s a refresher.

I have found a json file in my browser and that holds all the solutions I’ve entered today so that’s ok.
I disabled privacy badger and adblocker in my browser so there should be no problem. My username is also a number. I don’t know what it was in the past. I changed it and set everything to public. Still nothing. I’ll fix this it’s just that I want to know what’s going on and I guess freecodecamp as well. mientje, my username on the forum has been taken. By me? I don’t know.

Greets,
Karin

it seems you have logged in a different account than the one you used before.

Have you changed email address in your social networks or github account that you use to log in to freecodecamp?

I have never changed my mail address and have always logged in to the curriculum with my mail address, not facebook, google, twitter or github or anything else. But I must have used my github account when using the forum because I keep seeing ‘mientje’.

I don’t think it’s relevant but I’m mentioning it anyway. A few years ago I had deleted one account on github. I had created that and later created another one (completely forgotten about the first one). I was new to everything then and overwhelmed. There were problems and I believe the people from github have deleted it. Was that linked somehow to FCC? Hope that doesn’t complicate matters unnecessarily.

The progress doesn’t matter so much, really it doesn’t, I still have my projects but I keep getting this message asking me to contribute and I have been doing that for quite a while now, so could you see to it, that that is linked to me? I can live with the loss of progress.

Greets,
Karin

Hello there,

Just to clarify: When you say “contribute”, do you mean donate?

If so, by “message”, I assume you mean the modal which appears after every 5 submissions of the curriculum?

If you are donating, and something strange has happened to your account, it would be best to send an email to support@freecodecamp.org, clarifying what you are experiencing, and what you know about your accounts. Even if you are not bothered about the loss of progress, I would think it best to ensure you face no issues with your donations.

Yes, I donate 10 dollars a month and I’m sending a mail.

Thank you very much for following this up,

Greets,
Karin

if that’s the case, you can also mention this when writing to support. they can look at your account and see what happens.

also, you should be able to ask them to stop the modal from appearing as you are donating, once they make sure you are back to your account