Feedback on portfolio project- CSS HTML

Hi guys, can I get feedback on my portfolio project.

I’d love to improve.

https://codepen.io/mah752/pen/PopPMQz

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.212 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Personal Portfolio Webpage

Link to the challenge:

@hmaryan86, to be honest it looks like the same code as the sample project.
You should make the project from scratch, with your own code, style and content. Don’t take code from the sample project.

• The projects aren’t just another challenge. Each one is meant to be a significant step in your progress. Every project you do will require research, planning, trial and error, and strengthening your skills beyond what you gain from the incremental challenges.
  • The hardest part of coding is looking at a problem and coming up with a plan to solve that problem. Starting out by looking at someone else’s code completely bypasses that step.
1 Like

Okay, thank you. I will continue to work on this from scratch.

Hello, I agree with Roma, that’s why he is the leader, right? But if what you did was make a copy without looking at the original code, I think you did a good job, I like that the images change. Mine also has similarity to the original but I try to differentiate it from him, I share it with you:
https://codepen.io/juangpereira_/full/MWJmByd

1 Like

You shouldn’t try and mimic the sample projects. They show one way the project can be completed.
The instructions say make if functionally similar and Give it your own personal style.

1 Like

We must follow the instructions, I marked it as a “good job” because it surely took a lot of time and effort, but it does not meet the requirements

1 Like

Hi @hmaryan86 !

I agree that there are too many similarities to the sample project.

But I understand why you modeled your project after the sample.
I think that a lot of people just starting out don’t feel comfortable in their coding abilities so they use the sample projects or certification tutorials as a guide to help them.

But unfortunately, this can lead to a dependence on the project tutorials or sample projects.

In my short time in the forum, I have seen a lot of people heavily rely on sample projects or certification project walkthroughs on youtube for the first few certifications. But then they get to a point where after months of study, they can’t code anything and get frustrated and quit.

Learning to build your few projects as a beginner is tough and can seem like a daunting task.

When I first started, my first few projects didn’t look that great.
And there were plenty of moments of struggle.

But I was able to grow a lot during that time.

For future certification projects, I would suggest distancing yourself from the samples.

It will give you more of a chance to research more and ask questions when you are stuck.

And trust me, with this new approach, you will grow a lot more and start to become a stronger developer :grinning:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.