Finally passed a first-round coding interview! How should I prepare next?

This is for a Junior JavaScript Developer position…

I’m really excited and nervous at the same time. I don’t know what to do now… I was informed there were 3 rounds:

1. Coding challenge (Recently passed).

2. Interview with the CTO. (Non-tech interview)

3. Interview with Tech Steering Committee? (Tech interview)

I’m worried about the 3rd round. Is there something in specific I should review or study? What kinds of questions are they gonna ask me?

I already knew the coding challenge would be either some algorithms or a coding exercise, but I’ve never made it this far…

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hey congrats on passing your coding challenge!

Honestly it could be anything from your problem solving skills to domain knowledge. This can be a help to you.

I am curious, what was the coding challenge problem?

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as norm. Different companies and even different people from the same company have different interview style and format.

Speak honestly and confidently. Do your research on the company, maybe someone can shed light on how this particular company do technical interviews. Go back and study the job description posted, and gather as much technical and domain knowledge you can regarding the job.

That’s really all you can do. This isn’t an exam you can cram for and pass. Present the best you you can, and know that you done the best you can is the only thing you can do.

Thank you! It was a fairly straightforward exercise, but I was pretty nervous so I had quite a lot of trouble finishing it alone. Thankfully the person interviewing me was very patient and helpful.

It was a function that took a string and a symbol, then outputted the string with a border made with said symbol. And if the string had multiple words, each word had to be shown in a new line.

Example: borderStr(‘Hello World’, ‘+’)

+++++++++
+ Hello +
+ World +
+++++++++

The border is supposed to be completely straight, but I don’t know how to do that here haha :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll definitely give everything a review and build up my confidence a little more for the next interview!
Thank you for your advice!

You know who could give you great advice? The CTO with whom you are interviewing in the 2nd round.

Be subtle about it, but I’m sure he can point you to the right direction better than any of us can.

1 Like

I’m really happy for you but as someone who’s been around the block don’t get too excited until a solid offer has been made.

Also a +1 to psychometry’s advice. Ask the CTO what he’d like you to brush up on and if there’s any white-boarding involved. Any experienced software developer knows that white-boarding is a pita so this is a fair question to ask.

However seeing as the first assignment he gave you is a hello world output I doubt you’d need to worry about a binary tree recursion. :wink:

Anyways the best way to calm your nerves is to realize this is an experience. Every rejection is a step closer to an offer.