First Tech Job,completely Overwhelmed

So I just started my first job and I feel overwhelmed over how to go about the business arquitecture and There{s a lot of stuff I’ve never seen before,So I’m typing too many questions to ask my Tech Lead, but the thing is, I work hard, but sometimes I don’t know what questions to ask which ones are the ones that I’m supposed to look up and which ones SHOULD be asked, It’s taking me quite a while to understand some topics, and it’s overwhelming the fact that they are A LOT, like a lot.

the company trained me in Java/Spring and tbh the training went really fast so fast that I couldn’t have the time to practice enough, only through the code alongs, is this normal? I mean have done several “code-alongs” and can understand the main topics about IoC /Dependency Injection but I’ve never been in an Production environment/real world environment.

What is the regular expectation from a Junior dev once he’s starting?

Keep talking to your tech lead. Keep communicating.

But yeah, that first job is rough. There is A LOT of stuff to learn, stuff that we don’t normally learn in our studies.

What is the regular expectation from a Junior dev once he’s starting?

That depends. Some places will expect them to hit the ground running. Some places will know that it will take months to get up to speed.

I wouldn’t worry about what is “normal” - there is a wide range of experiences. I would focus on where you are. I would talk to the tech lead, your manager, etc. There are the best gauge if you are meeting their expectations. Don’t be afraid to ask your tech lead for advice on the things on which you need to work. Communicate. The only things worse than a team member that is struggling is one that is struggling but not reaching out for help when they need it.

Keep in mind that it is the companies job to determine if you are a good fit. Assuming that you didn’t outright lie in the interview (other than the typical puffery) then it is their responsibility.

But I do know people that got hired into terrible places, places that hired them for a job for which they weren’t qualified and they had a miserable time. Some of them quit and find another job. Some of them tough it out to gain the experience. Some of them get let go and go on to get another job - some experience is better than none.

Communicate, work hard, keep learning.

4 Likes

I would like to congratulate you on your first job! That’s a great achievement. Don’t get too worried on things that are not making sense at the moment. Ask questions and show your tech lead the approaches you have taken to resolve the problems. Just make sure you keep working hard because at some point all your hard work will pay off. Also, avoid focusing on too many things but rather break your bigger problems into smaller set of problems and deal with them one at a time. Also, always be optimistic and believe in the little value that you are adding. Wishing you all the best!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first development job!

Starting a new software job is extremely difficult and overwhelming. This is true for any job change as a developer, but especially stressful and frightening when you’re new to the experience. I like to tell people that they should expect to feel completely useless for at least the first 100 days. I’ve been told that most companies don’t expect the investment of hiring, training, and paying a new developer to start paying off for 6-12 months. You’ve been dropped in the middle of a fairly alien environment and it’s going to take a while to even start feeling like you know what’s going on. Be kind to yourself.

One of the difficult things about being on a development team is being able to judge when you’ve spent enough work figuring something out yourself and when you should ask for help. Effectively asking for help is another skill that a lot of developers struggle with. Your team/mentor isn’t going to be upset that you ask too many questions, but they may occasionally push back for you to spend some more time investigating the problem and getting to know it. Struggling is where a lot of learning happens. Even if you do get stuck, having fought with the problem for a while usually means that you can ask better questions and that you are more likely to understand the answer. On the other hand, some questions can save you tons of time to ask quickly. “Can you tell me where to look for ____?”, “Is there internal documentation for this?”, “What is the ____ that I see referenced all over the code?” Talk to your coworkers. You’ll get to know their style, how much they mind being interrupted, and what their areas of expertise are.

That you’re learning. That you have core language competency but don’t know the codebase yet. That you’ll figure some stuff out on your own but also let people know when you get stuck. That you ask good questions. That you keep learning.

1 Like

@dryo, just to be clear, how long have you been on this job at this point?

This is my third week, and my first sprint.

Yeah it took months on my first job before I even began to feel like I knew what was going on.

1 Like