Fullstack Advice - No University Background

Hi all, my name is Hung and I need some advice from you guys.

I graduated from a technology university, I majored in Biotechnology. My initial start was working in the production department of food companies. It was fine until I got fired in my first job after 10 months. I got few jobs later but none of them worked out. Right now I’m a sales engineer.

I like solving problems, therefore I started learning coding because I wanted to have choices in my life. I aim for Fullstack because I want to have high chances to land a job with good salary and when I have emergency, I can WFH. I bought a course on Udemy and after 3 months, here is my plan:

Frontend: HTML, CSS, Javascript ->Tailwind, React → Typescript
Backend: Node.js, Express.js → MongoDB → APIs
Tools: Git, Github, version control,…

I know there are other tools, framework, libraries,… but is this fine? Do I need to look for newer things? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

Your road map covers all the necessary basics to become a fullstack junior web developer so far.

I would add:

• Deployment including serverless
  • working with headless CMS
  • using backend providers (Firebase etc)
  • testing and debugging
  • best practices for file/ software design
  • AI prompting, I’m sure this will soon be a requirement

You can practice those while building your portfolio projects.

Regarding your projects: Make everything look and feel like a commercial pro application to stand out. Invest in some design, either yourself or buy templates/ services.

If you can find businesses and help them out for cheap or for free (I, for example, built Strapi CMS solutions for restaurants), you will have better chances to get hired.

Much success on your way.

I usually recommend working backwards:

This is what you want, so starting here your next step is finding out what sort of job(s) support this lifestyle.

The next step isn’t o start learning, or building any roadmap or anything. Its to check the jobs in your area that would support what you want.

This would mean looking at job posts online and seeing what companies are looking for, what technologies, experience levels, compensation, WFH requirements etc etc. You’d also get an idea of what the competition looks like on some sites like linkedin, which should show how many applicants each job has.

After this you can then start on your “plan” of what to learn/when and where to focus.

Right now it seems like your jumping the gun to building out a roadmap, but you might be targeting jobs that are flooded with entry level applicants/not-available or even too difficult to get by being self-taught.

The main reasoning is to make sure you are learning the most efficiently and “targeted” approach around the only thing that really matters, which are the jobs available.

There is never just one roadmap, or one solid path to always get you a job, its very specific to your own situation.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your advice. It’s true that entry level jobs are so competitive and I’m trying to get through this problem by getting a strong foundation. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! I will pay attention to your additional information.

While I agree that you have to look at your local job market, that’s obsolete when you are ready to move (maybe even across the world) or work from home.
You have to start somewhere and your plan gives you a decent foundation.

Don’t get married to one language or framework, learn CS and programming basics, making you ready to adapt to new tech stacks fast. They are just tools in the end. Try different tech stacks for your portfolio projects and document how you build them just using the docs and Google. This make you an engineer and will give you an edge over your competition.

1 Like

Thanks, I always prioritize basic tools (language) before getting into frameworks/libraries.
I’m always ready to work, but I’m a little stuck at getting updates on new tools or knowledge. Can you recommend me any sites or ways to get new updates?

1 Like

Always has the finger on the tech pulse, presented in short video clips.

Another great source, not news, but one of the best channels to learn CS fundamentals.

1 Like

Thanks a lot my friend, I wish you all the best

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.