Getting into the web development industry...?

Hi,

I have just finished an online course in order to become a junior web developer and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about getting into the industry?

So I have a few questions:

• I understand that you need to have a portfolio of work in order to get a job so how does one get a few projects under their belt if they only have a very basic knowledge?

• I hear that freelancing is an option or working for free but how does one find these opportunities? (I’m really interested in doing the work remotely if at all possible…)

• I feel like I just need to do a few very basic projects for someone…that will help boost my portfolio and confidence… any ideas?

Would anybody be able to push me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Katie

The freeCodeCamp curriculum has many projects you can complete for your portfolio.

I’d recommend a couple a Front end, maybe an api Microservices and one full stack app with a JS framework to show a decent range of skills.

You might not know how to do all those things yet, but building them will help you develop your skills.

http://learn.freecodecamp.org

Your projects don’t have to be paid, they just have to be good demonstrations of what you could bring to a team.

1 Like

Hello @katie365,

As @JacksonBates mentioned, you can work on projects the curriculum provides.

Another option is to send your CV to the roles that you are interested in and ask companies to send you a coding assignment, so you can show your skills. It won’t only give you a project to a portfolio, but also increase the chances to get a job because companies will see that you invest your own time in these assignments and you are serious about the role.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for you reply! Will definitely look into it! :grin::+1:

Thanks for your input, very informative!

Much appreciated, thanks! :grin::+1:

1 Like