Golf Code - Javascript Qualification

Hi guys. I’m very new to coding and I’m currently working through the Javascript qualification in the hopes of upskilling enough to be taken on as an apprentice later this year or next year. I’ve gotten a little stuck on the Golf Code tutorial on Basic Javascript and could use some help.

Here is my code:

const names = ["Hole-in-one!", "Eagle", "Birdie", "Par", "Bogey", "Double Bogey", "Go Home!"];

function golfScore(par, strokes) {

// Only change code below this line

if (strokes = 1){

return names[0];

}else if (strokes <= par - 2){

return names[1];

}else if (strokes == par - 1){

return names[2];

}else if (strokes == par){

return names[3];

}else if (strokes == par + 1){

return names[4];

}else if (strokes == par + 2){

return names[5];

}else{

return names[6];

}

// Only change code above this line

}

golfScore(5, 4);

For some reason, only the hole in one condition seems to work. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

So after messing around with the code in a JS fiddle I figured your problem out.

I’m pretty sure that in the first line of the if statement,
if (strokes = 1)
is the problem, because, the single equals sign is just used as an assignment operator.

You need to change that assignment operator (=) to an equality operator as you did in the other ones and you should be all set.

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: