Got my first job thanks to the advice I received on this forum

I learned to code through a combination of FreeCodeCamp, various other free courses, and by joining an organization called Recurse Center that hosts programming retreats (also free). Did freelancing for a while. Pay was disappointing. Was having trouble getting a full time job so I made a thread on this forum: Critique my Resume and Portfolio

I followed the advice I received and redid my portfolio and resume (douglas-dev.com) so that they didn’t look like crap, and wrote better cover letters. A month or so later, I got an offer for a full time front-end developer position in NYC at a really nice start-up. I start in a week. Thanks to everyone that helped me and to FreeCodeCamp! If anyone has any questions about how I got the job, let me know.

8 Likes

Congratulations!

Since you’re legitimately employed full-time now, you can do a write-up that focuses on how you were able to land your job and gives dos and dont-dos based on your job-hunting experience.

I’d be happy to go into more detail. Do you have any specific questions about the job hunt?

congratulations man how long did it take you to get the job from when you started learning and how much of the fcc material have you covered?

Personally, I don’t, but there are many users in this forum who appreciate a good ‘road map’ post that chronicles what the job-winner did along the way on their journey toward full-time employment.

Oh, wonderful! Congratulations!

Do you have a hunch about what it was in particular that landed you this job, or was it just a product of time, more effort and better framing of your skills?

Congratulations! Well done!

It took me a couple of years, but I didn’t study very consistently until this year and often went months without making much progress, so I think the number of hours you put in is much more important the length of time. As for materials, I started with a book called “how to think like a computer scientist”, which taught basic python as well as basic CS concepts. Then I found FreeCodeCamp and went through most of the front end material as well as all of the JavaScript algorithms material. I also supplemented with a book called “Eloquent JavaScript” and some CSS courses on Udemy. And I also learned a lot by just reading documentation for whatever libraries or frameworks I was interested in learning. For example, docs for React, Vue, Phaser, Tone.js, Three.js, etc. are all very good. I think once you have a solid understanding of the basics, you will learn much more by just reading the docs for whatever it is you are learning, and then just going and building a project, rather than going through endless beginner courses.

Yes I don’t think it was any one thing. Just a combination of a solid portfolio and resume, and doing well on the technical test, which was just writing a basic React app, but I made sure that it was bug free and looked nice.