Having trouble with the .error() method, anyone have ideas?

Hey all,

I am going through the FCC intermediate front end projects and decided to take the Udacity “Intro to AJAX” course to build a better foundation.The course has me building a “Move Planner App”, which brings in information based on a street and city and displays it on the page.

I am using the New York Times API to bring in and display articles about the city. The request is successful and the information displays properly, I am just having trouble getting the .error() method to work. If I don’t have the .error() method chained to the $.getJSON request it works fine, but when as soon as I add .error(), the data fails to load at all. Here is my code.

Without .error(), works fine:

$.getJSON(nytUrl, function(data) {

$nytHeaderElem.text("New York Times Articles About " + city);

articles = data.response.docs;

for (i = 0; i < articles.length; i++) {
      var article = articles[i];
      $nytElem.append('<li class="article">' + '<a href="' + article.web_url + '">' + article.headline.main + '</a>' + '<p>' + article.snippet + '</p>' + '</li>');
    };
  });

With .error(), the page flashes and none of the requests work (even the img request fails to stay on the page):

$.getJSON(nytUrl, function(data) {

$nytHeaderElem.text("New York Times Articles About " + city);

articles = data.response.docs;

for (i = 0; i < articles.length; i++) {
      var article = articles[i];
      $nytElem.append('<li class="article">' + '<a href="' + article.web_url + '">' + article.headline.main + '</a>' + '<p>' + article.snippet + '</p>' + '</li>');
    };
  }).error(function(e){
    $nytHeaderElem.text('Could Not Load New York Times Articles')
  });

Any input on this would be helpful!

Thanks!

The error method in their promise API has been deprecated. Try catch.

Thanks for this! Works perfect. You have no idea how many time i scanned through my cod figuring I was missing a semi-coon or something. If you don’t mind, what do you mean by deprecated?