Hey let me know what you think about my personal portfolio page

Hi, let me know what you think about my personal portfolio page. Version 26 of my portfolio page is up. I was thinking of doing a guided tours section of all of my projects on YouTube and adding it to the portfolio page, but that would take too much time and I really want to start the next section of the freeCodeCamp curriculum. Thanks for any help.

3 Likes

It looks good, you may think about extra white space.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I updated my project and added an animated signifier for the first background and added more animations to the project tiles. Version 30 is up! Let me know what you think. Should I submit this one? Thanks again.

1 Like

Much better. You may improve your nav, it far away from each other. You may adjust nav at right upper coder.

2 Likes

Not bad.

1. I’d make the project grid items bigger and maybe give them a tiny box shadow to help them stand out more from the background.

2. I like the idea of the Contact Me hover effect, but I would add a transition to Contact Me and change the icon transition to use translateY instead of margin. I’d also give them an initial state so they animate back.

#contact-me-header-div {
  display: flex;
  align-items: center;
  transition: all .3s ease-out;
}

Example for one of the icons

.fa-twitter {
  transform: scale(1) translateY(0);
  transition: transform .3s ease-out;
} 

.fa-twitter:hover {
  transform: scale(1.4) translateY(30px);
  transition: transform .3s ease-out;
}
2 Likes

I just saw the v30, I would not use that hover effect on the projects. I think it is OK to play around with things but you really also have to keep the UX in mind. Otherwise you end up with giving people a really bad experience.

Websites can be dynamic without turning into music videos, you need to strike a balance. On a portfolio site I wouldn’t go too crazy otherwise you might turn off some people.

3 Likes

i know this might not be constructive what so ever but i love the fact that you actually did your tribute page on Juan Pablo Duarte, its great to see another Dominican here.

On that note i think it would be more aesthetically pleasing if your contact section took up less space and would have less of an impact.

i love how interactive the whole page is but a simpler cleaner look would bring out more of detail since we are not so focused on whats going on around but only on the details

Hope this could help somehow. KEEP IT UP!

2 Likes

Thank you all! I took your suggestions and made a few changes. Version 39 is up! I included descriptions of the projects that are presented when you hover over the tiles. The hover effect for the larger screen is different from the one on the smaller screen. The animations in the contact section have been changed. Let me know if I can submit this one, or if there are any other changes that can improve the project. Thanks again.

1 Like

I like the hover effect on desktop, a UX improvement would be to increase the animation speed slightly so users can read the description quicker. Right now, the card reveals itself bottom-to-top so the entire animation has to be completed in order for someone to read it. Reversing or speeding up the animation would make reading easier.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Version 40 is up! I reversed the animation and changed the speed at which the paragraphs and the buttons reveal themselves. What do you think of this one? Thanks again.

2 Likes

Much better, now I can start reading the description while the animation is still going. The opacity hangs on for a little long (personal preference) but isn’t a big issue.

1 Like

I finally submitted Version 40 and got the Responsive Web Design Certification! I deleted all of the previous versions of the portfolio page. I did some tweaks on Version 40, but didn’t want to go beyond 40 versions, so I just kept on changing that one. Thanks for any suggestions and comments. Have a great day and keep at it!