How a completed form on a website is sent to the recipient?

Hi there,

I wonder how a completed form on a website is sent to the recipient?

So far I have used external services (for example https://formspree.io/) that forward the completed form to me, but I have to pay for this service and I wonder how I can have the completed form sent to me without an external service?

In my understanding, I would have to have a server that is available 24/7 and that sends a message directly to another server when a message is received, e.g. my email service provider, is that correct? Does that have anything to do with API connections?

Thanks for answers!

Not that I care in a judgmental or suspicious way, but is this for a commercial (prod) scenario, or an experimental/hobby (dev) scenario?

Without knowing your exact use-case(s), it sounds like Postman might be able to help you… if the scenario/env is ‘dev’ based.

What I have used Postman in the past for, that does not sound too far off what you are concerned with, is giving it pieces of code, with URLs, sometimes just localhost:$PORT, and when you have it send/post/get/delete/etc., you can have it display precisely what data/cookies/properties/etc were sent, and the response it got.

I did a lot of work with APIs and auths/oAuth2 in the past, and Postman was invaluable in checking how tokens were going to be passed, what was going to be in sent/received cookies, etc. One of my favorite tools was being able to convert a working cURL statement to a popular JS library (for example). But network snippet conversion is available in a lot of ways, for free, through Postman.

My main concern is to have a basic understanding about what happens when a form is sent, step by step (for example: form is send to server via API/ server sends form to email server / email server sends notification to email client / email arrives ).

I am currently developing a small project (react.js) with my own contact form, which I have to forward to my email address and was wondering why I actually have to pay for the service. Maybe I can also pass on the form via my own server, for example with Node.js and Heroku?

Generally speaking, for testing/dev purposes, you can fake a lot of testing and experiments for free.

As soon as you want any kind of external permanency/ ‘cloud’/server functionality - typically only required in a production env - you are looking at paying someone for space/hosting/etc.

It sounds to me like Postman can definitely be an asset to you, but you might just need a good rest and a cup of coffee to dig into it. You can tell it ‘form data’, ‘xml’, ‘json’, and more. It’s very good for practicing with CRUD and HTML requests in general.

1 Like

Can I use Postman for free to forward the incoming messages from my website? 100 requests per month would be enough for my purposes. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.