How do i make the most of Freecodecamp?

Can someone suggest what i can do to make the most of Freecodecamp? What can i do to make sure what i learned today sticks? Also how long to practice everyday and how much material should i go through?

Hello and welcome to the FCC community~!

The curriculum lessons will be giving you a lot of information at once. The key point I like to stress to everyone is that you should focus less on memorising everything, and more on understanding the concepts.

There are no hard rules on how much to practise, or how quickly to move through the material - everyone learns at different speeds. This is a question you’ll have to find the answer to yourself. I will say that I recommend playing with the code in the lesson after you have passed that challenge, if you find you aren’t fully understanding what the code is doing. :slight_smile:

Personally, I found that most of my learning came from the certification projects at the end of each section - it is a very quick jump from: having instructions that guide you through what code to write => having to come up with your own code from scratch to fulfil a set of requirements. I found I was doing a lot of research when working on my projects, and that’s what really solidified the knowledge for me.

3 Likes

Building on what @nhcarrigan said, really give the challenges your full attention. You’ll make more progress by spending time digging into a challenge than by doing as many challenges as you can. Even if you pass the tests, ask yourself “do I understand why that worked?” Try changing some things in the code and see if the results match what you expected. You’ll learn a lot by “breaking” your code and putting it back together again. Google around to find an explanation of the concept that works better for you, or to learn it in more depth than freeCodeCamp offers. Some lessons will make sense and you’ll get through them pretty quickly, but when you are unsure that you really get it, take the time.

I also think it’s a really good idea to spend time here on the forum. Of course, we want you to feel comfortable asking for help or explanations - but you also can get a lot of value out of helping others who are a few lessons behind you. By explaining a concept to them, you’ll gain a better understanding of it yourself (and it may require you to do more research :wink:).

4 Likes