How should I grow my blog

I want to be a web developer and have made numerous Jekyll CMS blogs on problems I have solved but now I want to move up and use them to actually get something out of it if possible. :money_mouth_face:

What are you trying to achieve?

I want to use my blog to the following in order of priority:

1. Get a job as a web developer. :handshake:

2. Inject some Google AdSense to make me filthy stinking ric- I make me some pocket money.

3. I want to find out the best way to release the blog to maximize impact. :world_map:

4. Help out loads of the stragglers find their way with similar problems. :heart:

So what is your problem?

So I released an enormous Jekyll blog on my Github Pages Portfolio website and didn’t like get any attention or anything. I mean sure I mentioned it to admin at datatables.net and it got published on the front page but it didn’t get me anywhere.

I don’t notice anyone visiting the page on my website when I go to insights in Github. So I’m a little lost here.

I’m wondering if I should even bother with Github Pages anymore. :thinking:

Because I could just publish my next 3 part series blog with the sample starter github application to another popular service and get probably more attention there.

But I feel I won’t get as much benefit as I won’t make any add money of it I think.

The Google AdSense content in the popular blogging platform site means the money goes to the site owners and not me right? Should I use Ad Sense on my site? Will it deter recruiters when they have to put up with adds??

Also let’s say my next blog series is another flop.

If I have to use someone’s platform then is there a way I could for example easily export the blog as some sort of compacted html/markup file maybe with all the external, images and css rolled into one file? Like Inno Setup for example.

A single file that I could just export to some popular blogging platform site? I mean look if I can do both, that’s cool.

I’m ok with that, as long as I don’t have to write all the content again and can just easily export it as a single file to the platform and have it generate the content on their page. If my question is too complicated should I hire consultant? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

freeCodeCamp News has several guides on writing and publishing technical articles. Here are just a few:

If you are an experienced writer, and would like to be one of the developer authors for freeCodeCamp News, you can find everything you need to know in the Publication Style Guide.

2 Likes

If you have a blog. This does not mean that it can be monetized. The main earnings of sites receive from advertising and placement of advertising articles. But for this, users must visit your site.
And to get users you have to optimize the site and add it to the Google search console. When the site grows and gets users to search, then you can monetize it.
But for this you need to do a lot of marketing work and add links to your site.

1 Like

Yes this is what I would prefer doing as I feel recruiters would like to see that you’ve been able to make something out of your own blogs.

If nothing happens then I will put links up then using the blog on perhaps Hashnode. Do you have some links that show how to:
-improve SEO or
-best way to share without spamming per a chance please and or
-how to get started with monetizing?

Eager to learn.

make sure you have stuff that people want to read, you can have the best SEO but if people don’t want to read it, it will not matter

you can use social media to share your articles

also, same, monetizing will not matter if you don’t have audience

So I have been told. Ok step 1, build audience, thx.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.