https://codepen.io/SherifM/pen/OJWXNGP?editors=1100

Tell us what’s happening:
Hi everyone!

So I finally did the first project to build a tribute page but I am a little discouraged because I literally had to watch a youtube video and look at another tribute page of another person that completed it to use as reference to build my own. Although i’m essentially taking it piece by piece, i’m a little anxious because I don’t want to feel like I didn’t learn anything. I attached the tribute page of mine and i’m hoping anybody can give me some insight on my current status. FYI I would not be able to do this completely on my own from scratch. As I said before, I had to watch a step by step youtube video and look at another person’s tribute page to try to understand how each step works.
Your code so far

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.192 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Survey Form

Link to the challenge:

Here is the link to my tribute page

https://codepen.io/SherifM/pen/OJWXNGP?editors=1100

Hello there !

First of , great job pushing thru and still doing the challenge !
You should not be discouraged , having never wrote a line of code just 2 months ago i totally get it, it’s normal.

It gets better with practice , time and commitement.
If you feel like you didin’t learn , it’s okay, go back and re do the courses, there’s no timeline . If you don’t get a concept, google it, youtube it and most importantly Write it with your own spin until you get it.

Also , dev tools are your best friend, ( ctrl + shift + c on windows mozilla ), use it to inspect elements on any webpage to understand what’s going on, look at the code and write it to try and reproduce the results.

Plan ahead before coding if it helps, i always start on pen and paper , write my structure then go from there.

It takes time and practice to get used to new conpects / coding in general. Take a rest if you feel burnt out and give it another try.

Your current tribute page only has 1 more test to pass which it to center the image, ( also always check the errors they explain what needs to be fixed ).
So try to fix that then try to redo another page, you can easily inspect the FCC exapmle and takes notes of the structure then write your own based on it for starters, you will be able to write on your own with practice.

TL DR : It’s totally normal to feel overwhelmed at start, take a break , revisit your courses and don’t feel bad about about being stuck. Prolly not what you asked for but hope this still helps! Feel free to message me about specefic issues

1 Like

You are awesome man, you defs answered my question and reassured me to keep pushing!

1 Like

Glad i could be of service ! :smiley:

Your page looks good @Sherif123. Some things to revisit;

• Keep all your styling external. Do not use internal styling.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML syntax/coding errors you should be aware of and address.
    • Since copy/paste from codepen you can ignore the first warning and first two errors.
  • Providing a blank link just to pass a user story is not the way to make a page. If this were for a real job and your customer was paying you they’d expect each user story to be completed properly. If there’s no link then the user story hasn’t been completed successfully.

If you’re relying on copying videos and copying another’s code then perhaps you went through the lessons too fast.
Try going through them again, slowly. After completing a lesson try making changes to see what happens.
Learning to code is a marathon, not a sprint.

On a side note, with the HTML errors picked up by the validator either the video’s and code you’re using are not good or you’re not following them correctly.

Hi Roma,

Could you please explain the difference between Internal styling vs External? Not sure I quite understand that one :S
I tried the W3C validator and it’s mind-blowing! this is awesome!! Thank you so much for that source!
Also, are you able to explain what you mean also by “Providing a blank link”? you are also referring to the survey project? or the tribute page?

I will definitely take the time to re-run the lessons. It seems like I need to get a few rounds in to actually process how to tackle the necessary steps for the projects. I don’t want to miss any valuable information haha

Thank you so much for your valuable input you’ve really helped me so much. This forum is incredible. the amount of resources and aid that’s provided by people like yourself, you really drive me to continue pushing even through uncertainty.
Thank you again :slight_smile:

What did a search show that you didn’t understand?

Yes, something to keep in your toolkit.

Here is the link you provided for your tribute page…
<a id="tribute-link" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Frank" target="_blank"></a>
What is there for the user to click to take them to that page?

Glad to help. That’s what we’re here for.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.