I keep keep getting the same error message:10. Additionally, the navbar should contain link (<a>) elements with the class of "nav-link". There should be one for every element with the class "main-section". Technical documentation page

I keep getting the same error message: 10. Additionally, the navbar should contain link () elements with the class of “nav-link”. There should be one for every element with the class “main-section”. I don’t know what I’m getting wrong. What am I missing?

Hello there,

You have a few mis-matching HTML tags. I suggest you use the built-in HTML Analyser tool CodePen has. It will help you find most of them.

For example, these tags are out of order:

<section>
  <article>
    <p>Some random text</p>
  </section>
</article>

Section was opened as the parent element. So, article cannot be closed after it.

Hope this helps

@ka-kev, the complete message says;

Additionally, the navbar should contain link (`<a>`) elements with the class of "nav-link". 
There should be one for every element with the class "main-section".

There should be one .nav-link for every element with the class of "main-section", and every .nav-link should be within #navbar : expected 8 to equal 7 
AssertionError: There should be one .nav-link for every element with the class of "main-section", and every .nav-link should be within #navbar : expected 8 to equal 7

“Expected 8 to equal 7” is the clue as to where the error is.

You have a quite a few typo’s / syntax errors in your code. And one of the main-sections isn’t formatted correctly which is why the test fails.

It may help to run your HTML code through the W3C validator.

• There are HTML coding errors you should be aware of and address.

Can you elaborate what exactly “Expected 8 to equal 7” means?

In your nav you have eight (8) .nav-link classes that point to a main-section
Your document only contains seven (7) .main-sections

As mentioned, you have a quite a few typo’s / syntax errors in your code. And one of the main-sections isn’t formatted correctly which is why the test fails.

1 Like

You were totally right. I found the culprit using the validator. Incorrect syntax. Thank you.