I need some clarification about freecodecamp

So I have just started freecodecamp. I finished the HTML and CSS basics challenges. Then I opened the curriculum page and got confused. I see a list of challenges with different languages Javascript, Python, etc. My question is, what are we learning here? What will I accomplish after completing the entire curriculum?

1 Like

Hey there @nahasco !

FCC teaches the MERN stack, which is just a fancy way of saying that it teaches you several languages, frameworks, and tools that work together to make products and web sites.

For example, in responsive web design it teaches you how to make static pages with HTML and CSS, but in JavaScript it helps you to learn computer programming and how it works.

Then in the front-end libraries it shows you how to make sense of frameworks such as react and bootstrap and how to implement them in projects.

Then you learn backend with Node.js and learn what it means and why it’s so important for a full stack dev to know.

Hope this helped!
Best,
Cy499_Studios

2 Likes

freeCodeCamp teaches fullstack web development. The core language of the web is JavaScript. You will see other technologies listed in the curriculum, such as MongoDB, Express, and React. These are additional tools used in web development.

The Python sections aren’t really part of the web developement track. That’s an early version of the Data Science curriculum that will be growing over the next couple of years.

3 Likes

Hi there,

What are your goals? if you want to become a front end or full stack developer, completing the Responsive Web Design, JavaScript, and front end libraries would be a good way to go. If you want to go into machine learning or data analysis, you may not need to do front-end libraries.

Did you just do the HTML and CSS challenges, or did you also complete the five projects at the end? The projects are a great way to practice what you have learned, and learn even more. Plus you will earn your Responsive Web Design certificate.

2 Likes

I understand from you that the cirriculum gives a good general background on both backend and frontend. Is that right? It doesnt focus on a specific language and helps me master it from A to Z. Right?
Thanks for the quick response!

Will I walk away with a powerful knowledge in programming and be able to create advanced websites at the end of the curriculum or will I just get a general background of full stack development? Will I master any langauge in this curriculum?

My end goal is to be able to pragram anything. Websites, software, programs. But start with web development.

@nahasco

Actually, it does focus on JavaScript as Node is JavaScript, in a way it does help you master JavaScript. Python is for Data Science and learning on the side and is not part of the Full-Stack curriculum.

Also, it might not be feasible to achieve your goal, Jack of all trades master of none is a frequent problem with devs. It might be better to focus on a specific facet of programming, apps, web, or something else. Once you have focus you can truly start mastering and then leave everything else for fun.

1 Like

If you look at the curriculum here:

Every portion of the curriculum ends with projects, so you will actually have practical experience in full stack web dev if you do the full curriculum.

2 Likes

Thats really nice! Thank you for pointing this out. I think the freecodecamp homepage needs to be updated though. Doesnt provide any information of what Im going to study and achieve at the end of the curriculum.

1 Like

Is this content not showing up for you on https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/?

If so, that is definitely a bug.

3 Likes

I cant see the first, but second is there. The first gives a little information I am asking for but I don’t think its enough. It doesn’t tell me the things I got from the replies to this post.

1 Like

If somehow the first message never showed up for you before you logged in, then you can make a bug report. However, I find that sometimes people just overlook stuff.

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

I think I need to discover all of them to know which I like the most (and getting some background on each on my way). Correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

@nahasco

No, you’re not wrong, just know that you can’t feasibly do everything, especially if you want it to be a viable business or get a job in the industry.

Best,
Cy499_Studios

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.