I want to learn Python but why?

Hello everybody ,

I have been looking at some tutorials about Python and I like it but at one point it gets a little bit frustrating or too complicated. I don’t have any guidance and I have never asked anybody about anything related to programming in my life.

I want a productive tutorial that leads to somewhere cause my goal is learning and actually getting a job with Python.
I don’t actually know where should Python lead me to what ? I want something fun and creative in the same time.

There are loads of tutorials online but I would like to hear how did you start learning Python ? What’s your story and what made you not to quit or jump from a youtube video to another ending up watching the first man on earth … etc . Obviously I am joking here a bit but every joke has a seed of truth.

Probably a lot of people who broke this barrier of jumping over the hard line in programming will not even throw a glance at this post but if you do, think that every word you say or help somebody, will come back to you one day 10 times more or at least my mom was saying that :slight_smile:

Thanks for who viewed this post and hope to be an active user on this forum.

1 Like

Hey,
This should help: https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

3 Likes

Thank you SpaniardDev I will look right now .

1 Like

Personally I picked up python after I had some experience using C and javascript. Python syntax turned out to be similar enough to javascript and much more simpler than C, so I never felt really bored or frustrated while learning python.
‘Dive into python’ used to be a great resource for learning python, but the author took down the book from its official sites and mirrors. You may be able to find some copies floating around in github repo’s, try to get your hands on one before all the copies disappear.
If you are the kind to learn faster when following a structured course, I would recommend Fundamentals of computing specialization (coursera), you can audit the course and access all the course material for free. The first two courses of the specialization focuses on basics of python, later courses dive into algorithms, data structures and general computing principles. There are a few other great courses focusing on python on coursera, go through the list and choose the one that best suits your goals.
If you prefer a bit more loosely structured method of learning, I would recommend that you check out this youtuber and this related site, combined they will give you a very good overview of what can be done using python and hopefully give you ideas for some great projects.
Hope the above mentioned resources help push you forward on your programming journey.

4 Likes

Thank you AdityaVT for taking the time to write all this message . I think now I have enough with what SpaniardDev and you gave me so now into learning.
The Fundamentals with coursera helped me a lot now understanding some things that I was stuck at.

Many thanks both of you .

1 Like

I started programming, because I found out that the majority of jobs were unbelievably repetitive and boring. I found out early in my career that computers could do repetitive things way more efficiently than I could. I have no patience.

I had no patience for medical records and phone call center work. I had no patience for data formatting and analysis in Excel, because VBA could do it so much more efficiently. I couldn’t handle ETL, BI and Data Warehousing projects, because in the end of the day all that work was just a slight variation on something I had done before (within that job). Once you build a dashboard, a ETL data flow or data mart… the next one is infinitely easy. Easy in part, because you can also just read a few books on the subject and execute relatively quickly.

Programming, not so much. There is so much depth to programming even within a single language. For example, you have all the parts of the computer that you can interact with: Operating System, Networking, Compilers, Web Servers, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning… Hacking. Where does it end? Where does it end? It doesn’t. You always have a new subject you can get into. Are you tired of procedural programming, try functional. Don’t like functional, read a few books and try your hand out at OOP. Don’t like doing that, try event-based programming. Data Structures? Image Processing. It’s honestly endless. There are 10 hour programs just on the Python compiler. Then, if all that doesn’t keep you happy, pick up a new programming language and die from exhaustion! It’s a never ending stream of curiosity.

Programming was the only job I’ve ever done where a computer does all the work for me: 24/7/365 days a week and provides value to unspeakably many people. It’s the only job I know where once you complete something it keeps on giving and your focus is purely on improvements! Even when those improvements are just porting stuff over to new platforms! It pays pretty well too, well except if you compare yourself to: project managers, doctors, lawyers … I still make about 5 times my original salary and can afford to purchase a house in the city! Overall, 5-stars curiosity and 4-stars payment potential! It can all be yours if you spend enough time on youtube, do some tutorials and read some books!

Only thing I regret right now is not investing more into these topics! That’s why I’m starting a masters in machine learning next fall and taking classes at Harvard in January!

Anyway, hope this motivates… I’m passionate about programming and just wish I was better at it. Try to improve everyday. Learning starts slow, but if you stick with it, it’s honestly amazing!

1 Like

Hello !
In my case… I have 48 years old and I wonder if it’s not time to do something else of my life. I have been working in a big company but it doesn’t make sense and things seem so futile to me … People only think about their interest and therefore only do things to show themselves. It doesn’t suit me.
It’s why I started learning Python even though it’s hard to do learn it alone but at least I feel like I’m doing something useful :wink:.
Sorry for my English ! I am French.