I'm going to quit my job

Hi everyone. I haven’t been very active on the forum lately, been busy with the speedrun challenge.

I’m using P1xt’s guides, and I’ve been planning to quit my job once I finish Tier 2 in order to focus more on coding and start applying for jobs in a few months. I was hoping to stay for 4-5 more months and then leave on good terms. Thus, I decided to ask my boss to give me 3 shifts per week instead of the usual 5 to put more time on coding until I quit and start applying (of course I didn’t tell him I want to quit, but he knows that I’m learning to code).

Unfortunately, his reaction wasn’t as I expected. I’m working at a pizza parlor and was just promoted to shift manager a bit over a month ago. He basically had plans for me, so I guess hearing this didn’t please him. He got angry and refused my request, telling me if that’s how I want it, then I’ll get demoted to a regular employee, or otherwise I have no place here. He also told me that I should have told him about this before being promoted and he wouldn’t have promoted me to begin with.

This happened earlier today. I decided to quit now rather than wait a few months, as my boss won’t understand me and I refuse to get demoted after working here for a year, and to work for someone who doesn’t respect me and is using the fact that I’m hard working. I have some savings that should last me a few months until I start applying. I’m also a guitarist so I guess giving guitar lessons is also an option, and I might give it a try.

I guess my question here is if anyone else has quit their job in order to focus on coding, and how did you guys handle it? Were you able to indeed find a developer job after a while? Will I be able to make it?

9 Likes

Hey there!

Actually I did it 1,5 year ago. I was working in printery, my job was to put posters and other printed stuff in boxes and label them for sending them to customers. Terrible job for longer period as I felt like I was machine, 10h per day of exact the same moves. I spent some time learning to code, it was easy for me back then as I lived with my family and they accepted it. I got first programming job months later, first I worked for nothing, later for shitty pay but I liked other programmers.

Eventually I quit it cause I got better job. My boss always been nice to me but when I told him I´m quitting first he said only “leave me alone”. Two hours later he called me and tried to talked me out of my decision. He even found out which company offered me job and contacted it´s CEO and told that I don´t want to quit. It was a mess but I managed to change job. In my new job I heard from my boss that he really cares about developing skills and if I need any books or courses I should tell him. A month later I got even better offer (better I mean I would have someone to learn from as here I´m the only developer) so I gave him a heads up that in 2-3 months I will be quitting cause I want to program more advanced stuff than static web pages.

I saw he was disapointed but he was thankful that I told him in advance and he understands it´s because I want to develop my skills even more. Later when I ever mentioned about it he was like “I don´t want to hear about this, you´re leaving to our competitors blah blah blah”.

My point is that bosses will be always upset about their employees qutting the job. Especially if they had hopes for them and plans. Finding someone new is always as big challenge for company as for a person to find a job. So don´t let it stop you or change your plans. Focus on what you really want to do! Programming is great and I can´t imagine myself in any other job. It will be hard, you will have doubts, you will run into problems but as long as you keep trying you´re the winner.

So learn, do challenges, do projects. Don´t lose your hope, be humble, don´t be afraid on the interview that you don´t know something. I just had Skype interview for another job, I was totally honest and I guess I made good impression. Do not pretend someone who you are not. Show your passion.

Good luck buddy!

9 Likes

Of course! You’d be fine. Will you find a developer job in a few months or so? Nobody knows, but your chances of finding a job are better now that you’re looking for one, vs. when you were not looking and still working at the parlor.

Do you have a family? or single? If you’re still single, you have a lot more freedom ahead of you. If there’s a time to take risks, it’s now. And quitting your job to concentrate on coding for the chance of a better future is a good calculated risk. If you have family and kids to feed, the risks are higher but not impossible either.

As I said in your other thread, go ahead and start applying. Don’t wait to finish chapter X of some course before you apply, just do it now. By the time you’ve finished the lessons, is probably the time companies will start calling back.

I quit my job 17 yrs ago to go 100% full-time with my web design business. I had to weigh between staying in my day job with a guaranteed small paycheck every 15 days, or quit and run my web design business 100% full-time with no guaranteed paycheck, but possibly bigger payoff? As they said, big risks = big rewards. For me, failure was not an option because I also have a wife, 2 kids and baby daughter during that time I quit my job. So if you’re free of those responsiblities, it should be easier for you too. If you had to eat ramen noodles everyday to save money, and code for 16 hours a day, you do it.

Self-discipline, time management, having a hopeful and positive attitude, ability to handle stress of the unknown – you’d need all of these. Good luck in your new adventure!

6 Likes

Either it’s the Indian in me or the old man in me but I wouldn’t quit a job unless I had an alternative source of income lined up. Overall this is one of the best industries to be in for job mobility but it’s a funny thing. You might get several offers at once or you might have to wait a while until something good comes along. I expect (again, Indian/old guy speaking) savings to be measured in years. A few months can pass by like that. If you’ve used up all your savings then where will you be? Also getting that job is going to require more than just coding skills. You’re going to have to network and that might cost money to meet people and travel to places. Will you have the funds?

Personally, I’m already in the IT industry and have been for years but like you I’m not happy where I am and looking to change. But I’m staying put for now, doing a full day (except to spend time surfing the forum :smile:) and doing my coding at night. I have a family to support but even if I was single I would do it that way. If you haven’t burned your bridges with your boss see if you can work something out or look for some other similar kind of job which will keep you earning until you make it. (And you will make it I’m sure.)

That’s my 2 cents. I hope I came across as realistic not pessimistic and good luck!

6 Likes

Wise man has spoken! I have the same tactic :wink: no quitting until I have other contract signed.

1 Like

I think you made the right choice. This guy doesn’t sound like the best manager, and he would have been an obstacle to your goal.

Keep in mind that getting a job can take a month or two from the time you apply, so I’d start sooner. Apply to jobs that you don’t want first and try to get an interview. Once you have an interview scheduled, start applying to places you’re interested in. Tell them that you have some interviews scheduled elsewhere (don’t say where), but you’d rather work for them. This is particularly good if you have to travel for interviews because you might get lucky and get a hold of someone who’s willing to meet you on the same day as your other interviews. You may get someone who would just be willing to chat with you about the job in general before moving onto a formal job interview (this is called an informational interview). Worst case scenario is that you get some rejection, but learn how to put yourself out there. Best case is that you land a super sweet gig. The most likely scenario is that you get some interview practice and a few offers in hand.

4 Likes

@Zubru22 Thank you for the reply and advice. I also love programming and it’s the only career that I want. I’ve just been doing this job as a temporary source of income until I get there.

@owel Thankfully I’m single, and currently living with my mother so I don’t have many expenses. As for applying, well P1xt has suggested that I start applying after finishing Tier 2 of the guide, so that’s my plan.

@Jaldhar I’ve already made my choice, staying in this job is just not something I have in mind anymore. As I’ve said I’m considering teaching guitar for money so there’s a possibility I won’t even need to spend my savings.

@PortableStick Thanks for the reply. I definitely won’t allow anyone, or anything, to be an obstacle to my goal, even if the cost is a job I’ve been progressing in. I’ve been making huge progress towards my goal of getting a developer job lately, and there’s nothing I’d dislike more than having my progress slowed down. As for applying sooner, well as I’ve said I’m following P1xt’s advice of starting to apply when I finish Tier 2 of the guide I’m following (the Web Dev with Computer Science one). According to my calculations, this will take anywhere from 4 to 6 months (maybe less if I double my effort, which is what I’m planning if things pan out). I don’t mind it if getting the job itself took a few months, the goal is to get there regardless.

1 Like

You did the right thing. Never work for a jerk.
I’ve quit many a job because on one reason or another.
As long as you respect yourself, someone will hire you. And the boss who understands your quitting because you tried your best but it wasn’t appreciated will want you even more for your honesty.
That being said, it may get tight, but hang in there. Keep a good thought and always believe in yourself.
Wish someone had told me that about 50 years ago.

Cheers,
Tomas

1 Like

I quit my full-time job to focus on learning coding, but I immediately started feeling out jobs that would accept a part-time work schedule and worked out a 3-day/week position. I’ve experienced a number of no-work freelance periods or unemployed periods in the past, so I knew it was a good idea to try to keep bit of cash coming in to keep things stable. Job hunting can be a really harsh experience that drags on for a long time. It is hard to make good decisions when you feel a pinch for money, and people can smell desperation.

I would recommend finding some other kind of part-time work to help sustain you and keep you confident in interviews.

1 Like

Way to go! I really hope you get a job since I see you regularly post on the forums asking different questions. I love your drive and enthusiasm. Good luck with the search and do come back and let us know how it is going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Swallow your pride and ride it out buddy. You’re a hard worker code in the night time and in your days off, but start applying for jobs asap. Your hard work will lead to your success no matter what you’re doing. You know you have bigger things to look forward to outside of the pizzeria, this is a small step on the way to your goals.

1 Like

@tofrdabu Thanks for the reply. Glad to know I did the right thing. I haven’t told me boss I’m going to quit, but will do so tomorrow. I likely have 1 or 2 more weeks of work before quitting though.

@blackmorrow Perhaps you’re right. As I’ve said my savings should last me a few months, but most likely I won’t find a job until then. Thus, as I’ve already said, I’m considering giving guitar lessons, and it seems I already have such an opportunity at a local music store that my friend who teaches there told me about. Gonna give them a call tomorrow. :smiley:

@Quiixotiic Thanks! Will surely let you guys know how it’s going, and will definitely make a thread when I do find a job.

@Blanka4321 I’ll definitely start applying as soon as I feel I’m ready.

I would not quit my job. Your job fuels your dreams, everything is good as long as the outcome is income. How can you afford a new laptop, gas to go to meetup’s, even a boot camp?! You need to reconsider. I’m unemployed and because of my financial situation, I actually have coded less since I have not had a job because now I’m focused on where my income will come from. I want a developer job, but 1 year of self-teaching just isn’t enough to get hired on in Texas. The smartest thing to do is keep your job, dedicate ALL of your spare time to coding, then jump ships when you can find a junior developer position. Just my opinion, you can take it with a grain of salt if you want.

1 Like

@rico042002 I’ve actually had it with this job. My decision to quit is final. Well, my laptop is doing fine for now so I won’t need to get a new one anyway, and I don’t drive so I won’t have to worry about gas. Though I get your point, and I’m going to have to worry about bus tickets instead. As I’ve said, I’m most likely going to teach guitar, so I’ll have another job which pays double of what I earn now, thus I can work less time for more money. By the way, are you sure that 1 year of coding isn’t enough to get job? How do you know?

I’d say go for it.

What’s the worst thing that could happen? You live in a developed country - I don’t think your government will let you die of cold or hunger on the street.

And don’t take your boss’s reaction personally. It’s just a business (your boss will probably calm down in a couple of days). Just stay professional. If you must give a two (or four, or whatever) weeks notice, that’s your right and your boss must be ready for that. It’s a pizza parlor, for gosh sake!

1 Like

I’m completely with Jaldhar there. Life’s a funny thing… and as the saying goes, to parahrase
Man proposes, God, (or the deity of your belief) chooses.

I’m a bus driver at the moment and will stay with that until I find work. Good luck though. There’s also the thought that by giving all your energy to your new pursuit, you’ll likely be more successful at it.

You just never know…

1 Like

@jenovs No of course they won’t let me die on the streets. I tried talking to my boss today, and he said if I want to quit I’ll have to wait until he finds another shift manager at the very least. That appeared nowhere on the contract I signed with him a year ago. He’s in a kind of difficult position right now. So many employees quitting, so much debt, and another shift manager quitting at the end of this month (all in all we’re only 3 shift managers there). I have a good relationship with him, so maybe he was talking to me as a friend to understand his situation, but unfortunately it’s not my problem. He said something to the effect of: “If you quit now, and you’re free to do so, I’ll lose my respect for you and the doors will be closed if you decide to come back. Otherwise you’ll have to wait until I find another shift manager to fill your position.”

@MiniCLaw I wish I could stay, but it’s really not a nice feeling to stay somewhere you’re not happy.

Okay, so it seems I might not be in the best position. I talked to my boss today about quitting, and he said I’ll probably have to wait until he finds someone to fill my position. I mean there’s nothing stopping me from quitting now, but he tried putting pressure on me by telling me how much of a crappy situation he’s in now and that if I quit immediately the doors will be closed in case I decide to come back. He told me if I want to take even 2 shifts a week, he’s fine with that.

I mean I just don’t know what he wants. Does he want me to feel sorry for him or something? Essentially there’s nothing stopping me from quitting right now, but I’m just thinking about what he said, and I’m not sure if I should simply give him a 2 week notice regardless of what he said, or if I should wait until he finds another shift manager, which could possibly take months. I have the opportunity of doing another job (temporarily until I find a developer job) which pays twice as much as I’m being paid now, which as I’ve said is teaching guitar.

I’m sorry this thread seems to have diverted a bit and now has less to do with coding than I intended…

That’s exactly what happens in the US.

Luckily it’s not your problem.

I think anybody who quits expects that.

And don’t fall into “I’ll lose my respect for you” trap. It’s a business decision. Imagine switched positions - he is letting you go and you are telling him that you’ll lose respect for him if he’ll let you go.

You don’t have to. You could as a gesture of goodwill (give him say 4 weeks instead of two; or ask for bonus pay for each extra week).

1 Like