Im so lost in this JS section

Im so lost in this section some stuff I get, but a lot of it I’m so confused. especially when it doesn’t give you a reference of what’s supposed to be happing. I know that isn’t gonna help me learn, so maybe I’m just overwhelmed, but I basically used the hit feature before I was able figure this one out own my own, so I’m asking you guys If I should start this whole section over, and take notes from the beginning or just finish it an come back to it later. an should I start to google more things I don’t know instead of using the hit feature ?

**Your code so far**

// Setup
var collection = {
2548: {
  albumTitle: 'Slippery When Wet',
  artist: 'Bon Jovi',
  tracks: ['Let It Rock', 'You Give Love a Bad Name']
},
2468: {
  albumTitle: '1999',
  artist: 'Prince',
  tracks: ['1999', 'Little Red Corvette']
},
1245: {
  artist: 'Robert Palmer',
  tracks: []
},
5439: {
  albumTitle: 'ABBA Gold'
}
};

// Only change code below this line
function updateRecords(object, id, prop, value) {
if (prop !== 'tracks' && value !== ""){
  object[id][prop]= value;
}else if (prop === "tracks" && object[id].hasOwnProperty("tracks")=== false ){
object[id][prop] = [value];
}else if (prop === "tracks" && value !== ""){
object [id][prop].push(value);
}else if (value ===""){
delete object[id][prop];
}
return object;
}

updateRecords(collection, 5439, 'artist', 'ABBA');
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0.3 Safari/605.1.15.

Challenge: Record Collection

Link to the challenge:

Javascript is hard. Before looking at the hints, I’d ask questions in a forum post. If you need to look at the solutions to proceed, that’s an indication that you are probably moving a bit too quickly.

1 Like

There are two main ways of learning to code that I know of:

• You try to learn and understand every small bit before you move on
  • You try to make things work without deep understanding

My advice: keep going forward until “What is this? I have no ida what to do. I am completely lost.”
Then go back to the last point of “Hey, I understand almost everything here, but there are a few things that are not clear.”
Learn those unclear things. Ask “why” questions. Do some research.
Keep moving forward again.

Repeat.

Each day you will be moving forward and after few weeks/months/years things that are hard now will be easy.

1 Like

It’s weird because some stuff I can do just by reading the documentation fcc provides, but then a little down the line. I come across something I don’t have a clue of what to do, so it’s like I’m moving to fast yet some stuff I do understand

Understanding the question is often half (or more) of the work in programming.

Thank you that’s definitely a good way to approach this section

That’s exactly the same for me.
We all have different strong/weak points.

Also, remember that FCC documentation is only surface.
To really understand javascript, or css, or python you need to get external info. FCC is providing basics, and tries to teach very important mindset:

“I have no idea how it works. Need to RTFM and do my own research.”
This is also a very important lesson (not covered explicitly, unfortunately).

1 Like

That’s exactly how I got past a couple questions today. By googling the question, and finding documentation outside fcc, but that was the first time I did that while using fcc. I can see it’s definitely needed with this JS section

I’ve been using what you said yesterday, and it really helped. It’s taken me a little longer to figure the question out, but I better understand it. By searching for other documentation. I haven’t used hit or a video yet today. That’s a lot I really appreciate the advice!

1 Like

I’m glad my advice was helpful.
Best of luck! : )

1 Like