Is Christmas a reasonable deadline for looking for jobs as front end web dev?

Hey,
I’m currently almost at the end of basic Javascript part of FCC. I’m also doing Colt’s Udemy course (finishing basic JS there as well). I have some knowledge of Python and Django, and the programming language R (I’m more of a data analysis kind of gal). I have made few static websites using Bootstrap. I’ve been coding for about 2 years now, but there have been huge gaps in between. So whatever I learned 2 years ago, I basically had to re-learn again. This most recent stretch of learning to code has been going on for about 3 months.

I’m currently on maternity leave, due to return to work by Christmas. And I will have to go back, unless I can make WebDev work. I don’t expect huge income, my daily job does not earn that much either, but I would need to be able to earn something if I decide not to go back. And once I do, chances are coding will have to be put aside because there just won’t be enough time.

Do you think it’s possible? Obviously no one can tell if I will be able to find a job, but I’m hoping if I manage to finish the front end FCC work and up to Backend basics on Colt’s course by the end of summer, I could spend 3 months looking for work or working on my own projects (I already have a list :slight_smile:). I just need someone to tell me realistically if this is doable/likely or if I’m being naive.
Thanks.

1 Like

Congrats on the little one! :slight_smile:

So, in my opinion, you are giving yourself a reasonable amount of time to find a job. I would not limit the time though, if i wanted a coding job I would do whatever I had to do until I got one, even after Christmas I would still strive to accomplish that. And look on the bright side, if you don’t get one by Christmas that will just be more time that you can prepare and practice. On the other hand, make sure that you are prepared for whatever an employer might ask. Completing challenges on FCC is a great thing and it means that you are definitely moving forward but you need practice also. Learn as much as you can and continue the challenges, let your brain absorb the information then, hone then hone your skills by practicing. Go to codepen and create some more apps/websites, keep an eye out on Getting a Developer Job for any information that may correspond to your interest, and ALWAYS continue learning. Do not overload your brain though( I have a bad habit of this ). Take your time, do a couple of challenges in FCC then go to codepen and practice what you have learned then after a little while or even the next day come back, do another challenge and practice. You seem like a very intelligent person and I believe you are going to make a great mom! hang in there, put your mind to it, don’t overwhelm yourself, an stay confident. Who knows, maybe one day you could be hiring someone to work for your own development firm.

An HR administrator for a company I was working for in Japan (as I was looking to return to the U.S. eventually) told me that the normal hiring window in the U.S. is about from February to September. Since then I have heard this from other sources. But software and web development are a very dynamic industry, so it is uncertain if they fit the mold. So go for it, but just keep this in the back of your mind. If need be, build up a stronger portfolio and hit it harder next February.

I’m not in the US so that should not be my case. But it’s good to know, thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Michael. I’ll keep at it at my own pace, I can only do so much during the day anyway. I just wanted to know if I wasn’t being too optimistic.

Your very welcome!
There is no such thing as too optimistic, people with your kind of drive and ambition go on to be successful. You may fail, you may get turned down 5 times by multiple employers but do not give up and you will eventually achieve what you desire. :slight_smile:

1 Like