Is Full-Stack Still a Good Career Choice?

Hello, I hope this message finds you well. I would so appreciate chatting with someone who’s in the field of full-stack development or knows someone who is. I am participating with the Department of Rehabilitation for support for this vocational goal. I have a short time to provide a set of answers to questions about full-stack programming as a feasible career. Your insight and experience in this field would be incredibly valuable. Would someone be open to sparing a couple of minutes to answer a few questions about your experience as a full-stack developer? Your perspective would greatly enrich my understanding of this career path and help me reach my vocational objective. Here are a few questions, if someone wants to take a stab at it:

Could you describe one of your typical work days?

How would you describe the corporate culture?

How many hours do you work in a typical week?

What could affect future opportunities?

If you could start all over, would you change you career path in any way?Why?

Does a full-stack developer allow you a flexible schedule, remote work, or good like-work balance?

How long did it take to land a job, and how did you get the job?

Were you able to start off as a full-stack developer, or did you work your way up?

Are there opportunities for self-employment as a full-stack developer?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Looking forward to hearing from someone soon!

Typically work on user stories assigned to me to be completed by the end of the sprint. Also, this could involve on working on big fixes, or adding additional functionality to a feature after the initial review. Occasionally will attend meetings with the team to discuss out work items, and any potential blockers we are facing that is preventing us from making progress on our work

Different. Not what I am use to, but at the dame time its very educational. There was a lot to get use to when I first started. A lot of red tape to cut through when you’re dealing with stakeholders. The team itself is very supportive and helpful to all member, as well as the higher ups. Even though they are supportive they have no problems voicing their frustrations which can sometimes lead to a decline in production.

50-55

Not sure I 100% understand this question.

No, I love working with code and I am making money doing what I enjoy

I am remote, but not the best work life balance

Less than a month after I graduated. Went to a career fair where I met the company I work for now

Yes, but its much harder to be successful in my opinion

2 Likes

My apologies for being a bit vague, and I really appreciate your help! To clarify, I’m curious about how future technologies might influence opportunities in full-stack development. Specifically, I’m interested in hearing your insights on how these changes could shape the role of a full-stack developer, especially in the advent of AI.

Thank you Cody_Biggs! I’m am so glad you were willing to take a few minutes from your own things to help answer my questions. Thank you so much!!! Eager to hear from the community, and learn from all of you!!! So… anyone else have their own viewpoint on these same questions? I’d be excited to learn more!!!

There’s tons of topics talking about AI on this forum alone. Do you have more specific questions not answered by those threads or any where else you’ve done initial research?

Hi JeremyLT! Thanks for your question. I’m reaching out to this forum because the Department of Rehabilitation has requested that I speak to people about my vocational goal of becoming a full-stack developer. They advise finding people currently working in the industry who are willing to share their experiences. According to them, this approach adds a more personal element to the acquired information and allows me to ask follow-up questions. It’s important to note that these discussions should be current, one-on-one interactions. If you or anyone reading this has insights or experiences they’d like to share by answering these questions, I’d greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

Right, I get that, but it’s hard to have meaningful one on one interactions without more specific questions.

Without that, really the most I can say about AI is that it’s a statistical guesser that can be dangerously wrong or really helpful and it can be hard to tell when it’s doing which one. And I don’t anticipate it replacing full time developers any time soon.

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from. AI can be a bit of a mixed bag. “For now,” it’s more like having a really smart assistant. So… thank you for the feedback, and feel free to answer any other questions, or maybe you have some more for me? Ciao!

Hello!

My standard answer is :
If you want to work in tech, no matter the cost, as a developer or in other roles: Go for it, you will find your place. You are already showing that you are willing to adapt.

When you keep studying the field, you will discover with time how much goes into just showing a website to a user, how much more it takes to keep that website 24/7 online while updating it. That needs a well oiled machinery and team work or you are headed for disaster.

I don’t want to see hallucinating AIs in charge of products where errors will harm human existences and health. According AI check the YT channel “Internet of Bugs” and the video “Debunking Devin”, showing how Cognition was very generous with the truth about what their product is capable of.

1 Like

If this is for a speech and you have the opportunity to show images, use a picture like this that speaks for itself. Netflix as a case study. What the user has on the screen is a tiny fraction of the system.

AI can help in the chaos, but it isn’t capable of keeping systems like this alive.

I’m in 1-3 meetings a day, typically between 20 and 90 minutes. The rest of the time is spent doing research, making work plans, communicating with coworkers, and writing code.

This varies dramatically from company to company. On the whole, I would say that the culture within engineering teams is casual and social but with a high expectation of competence and independence.

Being an asshole. Even though this is a huge industry, it also turns out to be a fairly small community. Most job opportunities come from referrals and networking. As long as you are competent at coding, the most important concern when hiring/promoting/retaining is “Do you want to work with this person?”

I’d start earlier. I’d be in a much better financial position if I’d known I waned to be a developer at 18.

It can. None of those things are guaranteed, and developers often have to actively work to achieve them.

I’ve had 6 programming jobs in more than a decade, so I don’t really know how to answer this question.

In my case it wasn’t really a matter of “working my way up” as just changing my area of focus based on the job opportunities that I had. I moved from non-web technologies to fontend web work to fullstack.

I’m sure they exist, but they’re uncommon.

Hi Daniel! Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I agree that pursuing a tech career is exciting, full of potential, and a great responsibility. As a tech support personnel in another life, I certainly understand the importance of continued learning. Thanks for the resources you mentioned, I’ll be sure to check them out and stay abreast of ethical cognition and potential snags along the way. I feel I’m off to a great start with so many supportive people willing to share their experiences and knowledge uniquely suited to this field.

Hey ArielLeslie! Appreciate you taking the time to answer these carefully curated questions. Hey, not that writing isn’t my thing, but it’s most likely the reason I found coding a better fit. :slight_smile: And you’re spot on – it’s not just about coding, but the right team that makes a project a success, but considering it could affect future opportunities, is something to consider. Making good connections in the tech world is so important. Thank you for shedding light on this subject!

Theres plenty if worry out there that AI is going to replace developers, but thats not the case. Right now, AI is very stupid and can really only handle simple logic. There is still going to be a need for developers to handle more complex issues, and plus you need developers to be able to train the AI. For example, my team uses AI to scan documents submitted to our blob storage. We constantly need to correct, and train the AI to get things to work and even then its just printing out simple summaries of the documents. AI when it gets better will just be another tool that developers will need to learn to use, but its not replacing anyone

Thanks Cody_Biggs! I know the concern around AI is a bit common about now, I guess, but it can be a little disconcerting. To hear from someone who’s directly involved in its use, in this field, is more than satisfactory. So appreciate your insight!

Before I can answer your queries, please clarify below

1. How old are you ?

2. What are you working on currently ?

3. What’s your career goals ?

4. What’s your retirement age goal ?

5. What’s your ideal money wise goal, let’s say after 10 years from now ?

Hi vikramvi!, Thank you for these very thoughtful questions. Let me start by giving you a little background about myself. My profession includes a career as a research and development librarian and an IT support technician. I have a degree in library and information science where I took introduction to programming courses like HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and Python, among other things. I am currently working on the Responsive Web Design through this website to keep sharp. I realize the importance of continued learning in the field of technology and it’s my goal to make use of tools like freecodecamp in addition to other valuable resources available to the community. I think I can be a programmer for as long as I’m sharp enough to do so, and graceful enough to know when I’m not. I do realize there may be a bias in many industries considering generations who’ve grown up alongside new technology, but that could be said for any generation. What I’ve found, is that working with diverse groups, be that age, culture, or gender, brings with it an abundance of opportunity to assist a multitude of client preferences, and draw from each, respectively, and what customer doesn’t want that? What about you, what’s your background?

I’m into IT since 2002. Started my journey as QA / Automation Engineer and after 16 years; took break to learn Web, Mobile development and working as developer atm.

As you didn’t answer to 5 questions, I won’t be able to help you clearly with initial post queries.

Hi, thanks for your reply, as I mentioned in my intro, I hope to get training in full-stack if a vocational plan is approved by the Department of Rehabilitation (also the answer to question #3). They support individuals who are disabled, but I won’t get into that. It’s kind of personal. Not the training, but the disability.

I missed the last questions, but most were answered in the context. I’d be more than happy to elaborate.

1. May I ask why you ask my age? I felt this one was also kinda personal, and one of the reasons I asked pretty generic questions.

2. Within this field, I am currently working on Responsive Web Design through this website.

3. I’m trying to get trained as a full-stack programmer. Meanwhile, use tools like freecodecamp in addition to other resources available to the community to hone my skills.

4. Think I can be a programmer for as long as I’m sharp enough, so no end date in mine.

5. I manage a rental as a source of income. when I secure employment as a programmer, I may buy more homes, assign a budget of $20-$30k to renovate them and rent them for passive income. I want to do some work-trade travel to give back to communities I visit, when I can, but mostly work hard, be productive, stay busy, enjoy a good life work balance, and contribute to this wonderful community!

Thank you so much for being interested in my journey, looking forward to hearing more about your experience in whatever capacity you feel most comfortable sharing.

I’ve already shared in thread.

About my financial goal, I would like to retire from IT field by 2030 with particular amount and am working hard towards it.

Post 2030, I want to work on my hobbies project which will help society as well.

I suggest have clear financial goals for next 5 / 10 year as well for Age 50, work accodingly.

There are so many jobs in IT and their salaries public as well. You can check job sites for salary range.

If you’re in silicon valley, people in their 20s, 30s become millionaire as they made great money with “stocks option” along with their salaries.

e.g. if you were part of Instagram or whats app team ( first 20 - 50 ) employees; you would have already made millions for sure. There are lots of such stories; you can hear in silicon valley.

End of day, don’t compare yourself with others; have your own life story and stick to it

1 Like