Is it normal to forget some

Hello guys,

I just want to know if it is normal to forget some stuff. I have completed the first 10+ hours and im on Jquery now, but I feel that since I did not write a lot of the stuff i went through I might have forgotten and might have a hard time later. Should I redo and write things down or just keep on going??

Thank you in advance for answering.

I was doing a project today(advanced front-end) and realized I had forgotten a ton of stuff(this has happened in every project I’ve done), but I knew what I wanted to do so when I found the write syntax I could understand it immediately.
You can’t memorize all the syntaxes, but if you’ve encountered them before you’ll understand what to do with them easily. Just go on to the next section, I’m pretty sure during the projects you’ll still have to find them again.

Edit: Here’s a tip that helped me out. Keeping old projects close by as they contain code you have forgotten.

2 Likes

It’s definitely normal, and why every challenge reminds you to “Read-Search-Ask”. Freecodecamp focuses on teaching you with the real world in mind, which is all about using the resources at your disposal to solve problems. Do your best to remember as much as you can, but don’t feel bad if you have to look something up either.

1 Like

If you are human, I think that is normal. I think the point of the exercises is to introduce you to certain topics so that you know they exist and can look them up later when they are actually useful. It’s hard to remember something you don’t need yet.

2 Likes

Your question could simply be re-written: Is it normal to be human?
I would guess that maybe only 10% of people doing all the exercises you have done so far for the first time would remember them all. Some of those people would have photographic memory and the others would simply be really focused and highly skilled at remembering stuff. I hate these people - ha!
Kidding aside, you’re in the majority I’m sure. I constantly revisit exercises (I’m currently on the JavaScript portion - almost done). Just keep your profile open in a separate tab and just click on “view solution” at any time and it will open in a new tab (great feature). Also, don’t expect FCC to show you everything; use external references (ex: Mozilla Developer Network, w3schools, etc).
Good luck!

1 Like

Programmers don’t need to remember things.

2 Likes