Is it too late to get a development job being 30 and no work experience of any kind?

Hi

In few days I’ll turn 30.

I’ve graduated from computer science 6 years a go. Since then I just lived with my parents whilst trying my hardest to improve my disability.

Now I am ready! Now I feel great, now I feel like I should have felt at 23. Now I want to start work. But is it too late?

A lot of people ask this question but it’s all people that want to change careers. I on the other hand never had a job. Doesn’t past work experience matter?

In terms of skill I have them. I might need to polish some of by projects, and maybe create something to show my current skills better, but I do know how to use node, react and their respective ecosystem. I do have the knowledge for junior position is not higher, but I am paralysed by the fear of the fact that I have no work experience of any kind

2 Likes

Just practice and build a notable portfolio. Contribute to free software.

It’s only too late if you plan to die this year.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23devafter30&src=typd

5 Likes

God knows I’ve read most of them. But they all had a job before.

I’m starting a 6 year gap out of university. Does that put me in a worst position then them?

Does the total lack of non related work experience matter

Everyone starts with no work experience.

2 Likes

No it is never too late, to do anything :grinning:

Just practice, read some tutorials then do one or two projects and apply to a job!

If you think about it, the projects and exercises you do becomes your experience. Let’s say for example you make a dozen practice websites or apps, even if you didn’t make them for a specific client you still made them. You still took the time to think about the project requirements, design it, figure out the UI, the functionality. Your skills and the experience you gained honing and using them will show in your code and in your portfolio.

1 Like

Ha! If 30 is too late, I should just quit now! I am 39 by the way.

4 Likes

Yes but, so the fact that I’ve basically been doing nothing for 6 years doesn’t matter?

trying to figure out whether the fact that I couldn’t work at all was the barrior

Not really (though @camperextraordinaire makes an excellent point though about it depending on the employer), if your skills and portfolio are strong and you can actively display those skills in an interview, that’s really what counts. And again just working with whatever still counts as experience. Okay maybe you don’t have real world experience in the sense of working previously with a design firm or freelancing on you own, but if you got what it takes and you can show you’ve got what it takes, that’s huge plus to a potential employer.

Here’s the thing…there’s nothing saying you can’t knock out a few freelance projects while you’re on the job hunt. Not only will that be current work you can show in an interview, but that’s also adding to your work experience. You can see if there’s anyone around you locally (friend, family member, small business) that could use a website or an app done (I’m using both because I’m not sure which end you’re looking to focus on). Heck, you can take an already existing website or app and try to improve it as practice and something for your portfolio.

2 Likes

Great. I though someone that worked in KFC would get the job as they show that they can work, where as I not having had work at all - regardless of how awesome the portfolio is - would not get a job due to never having held a job before (and being 30)

Hmmm…An employer is going to want a very good reason as to why you were able to graduate with a CS degree but couldn’t go to work immediately thereafter. Depending where you are, it may be illegal for the employer to ask about your disability. However, you should be prepared to explain the nature of the disability and, more importantly, explain the rehabilitation efforts to overcome their concerns about your employment gap.

I would suggest this: In your portfolio website, be completely upfront about your disability. Have an entire page that documents your rehabilitation and how you worked hard to be in an employable state today. The goal is to show that despite having no work experience, you worked hard at overcoming your disability and becoming employable. Your story should be inspiring!

Combine that with some killer projects showing off your skills and contributions to open source projects. Then, you should have a solid chance at landing a job.

1 Like

@koplik you can do it. I just landed my software development career at 32. I wrote my journey here https://medium.com/@techednelson/how-i-became-a-web-developer-got-an-google-udacity-scholarship-and-land-my-first-software-3503d8cb6af7

regards

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. My worry is that I do not have any work experience. Where you say

Many of you have these skills because of your character as human beings, your education, your experiences in past jobs

I’m 30 and no past job experiences. That’s my only worry

you have more experience than me… I am 29 , didn’t go to college and have had warehouse type jobs since the age of 16. last year in January I started teaching myself webdev. using any resources I could find. I just got hired as a software developer mainly in asp/net for my first developer position. I never even touched c# this past year but they saw my motivation and hired me on 2 months ago. so no it’s not too late and if it’s what you want to do, do it !

2 Likes

My TA is 29 and just got a job as a front end developer in Austin, TX.
He was a teacher before and had no experience. He also had no portfolio and did not contribute to open source.
He just studied hard and worked hard to find a job and proved that he was capable.

All of you seem not to see a problem in the fact that I have no experience in any job (your TA was a teacher, doesn’t that count as experience)

I don’t believe that they cared that he was a teacher. He just knew jquery and knew how to look things up and he was nice.
maybe your life situation has made it so you have difficulty interacting with people?
You just have to spend a lot of time looking for the perfect job opportunity that only cares about your capabilities now, not the past. There are plenty of them out there but they aren’t going to fall into your lap.

1 Like