Is it worth it to learn jQuery in 2021?

I’m really confused !

It may be if you end working on a system that uses jQuery, but you can avoid learning it. Go with a frontend framework instead

1 Like

Ahh… I also think it’s not a good idea to learn jquery now and thanks for the reply

If you don’t have a specific reason to, I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

Learn to use the web platform API – in particular w/r/t the original subject (jQuery), that is the DOM methods and fetch.

jQuery was created at a time when these were both not consistent across browsers and clumsy to use. jQuery provided a way to make it easy to manipulate the DOM and make AJAX requests (asynchronous HTTP requests, so letting you load things into a web page without refreshing the page).

Nowadays, browsers are much more consistent, and they provide functions that let you do what jQuery does almost as easily. jQuery is quite nice, but it’s in no way at all essential any more. ~10 years ago you would be hard pressed to find any website that used JS and didn’t use jQuery, it was basically the first thing you added when you were building a website. Now it’s rarely used for new websites. And if you’re building an web app (ie something that behaves like a desktop app – websites are kinda apps, but I think it’s reasonable to make a distinction), then there are multiple frameworks (React, Angular, Vue etc), and you don’t use jQuery with those at all.

So learn JS well + the DOM APIs. If you know them, and know JS, jQuery will be trivial to pick up if you ever needed it. And learn a framework, that’s what’s currently (and for foreseeable future) important re jobs

1 Like

It’s still around, so I think learning the basics can’t hurt. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Learn the basics of vanilla DOM manipulation, learn a little basic jQ, but don’t worry about them unless you are working a job that requires them. But focus on something like React or Angular, something with a rising future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.