Is there a term for this type of scrolling?

I am wondering if there is a specific term for the type of scrolling found on this guy’s portfolio site:

I’m a big fan and I’d like to look up tutorials for how to do it, but I don’t know what it’s called or how to describe it.

parallax scrolling

here are 30 other sites that use it.

I don’t believe what I’m talking about is parallax scrolling. That’s something I stumbled upon when I was searching but as the site describes:

It uses multiple backgrounds which seem to move at different speeds to create a sensation of depth (creating a faux-3D effect) and an interesting browsing experience.

What I’m looking for is a scrolling effect whereby the screen “snaps” down to the next part of the page, almost like your switching to a different page of the site without reloading your browser (see portfolio I posted).

Is this just a different type of parallax scrolling?

your are just auto scrolling to a specific location, the animation (parallax) of the page is, as I understand it, tied to the scrolling. You can see this by scrolling up or down after you land on a certain section of the page.

If you just want the page to scroll to an area, look at and related functions. I think jQuery has some feature to animate it better, not sure though. But in a nutshell you need to look at the scroll features of a browser window and then animate them.

Oh okay I understand. Thank you!