Is there any School for Web Developers?

Is there any School for Web Developers?

Hi guys and thank you for enter this topic.

I’ve been completing the FreeCodeCamp, W3Schools and lone teaching myself HTML, CSS and little JS, but I feel that it’d be more rewarding to be in a college with a degree at the end.

My question are simple:

-Do you really can get hire without any degree, just by learning on the internet or finishing Freecodecamp??

-and if I want to get a college degree in Web development, what college would be ideal?
(reliable, reputable, well-know, it may be online)

Look up what happened to ITT tech, all this students lost their money and time.

Please advise, thanks!

I would stay away from any for-profit colleges. Going the traditional route of Community College then a University will be cheaper and provide better education. There are even some colleges that offer online degrees. U.S. News Releases 2017 Best Online Programs

I attended Oregon Tech, they were pretty good and they have an online degree in Information Technology

Do yourself a favor and never ever go to a for-profit school.

I feel so sorry for those people and the fact that for-profit schools are even legal is completely mind blowing to me. How sickening it is that someone who genuinely wants to learn and improve their life is screwed over with a worthless nontransferable degree and 100k in student loans…

Man that has always made me mad.

As for getting a degree, that’s really up to you. I could list several reasons for getting a degree but they all boil down to.

1.) Can you afford it?
2.) is it STEM related?

If your main focus is learning to code and do some front-end work a diploma may give you head start to finding a job but from what I’ve seen from friends all they really care about is what’s in your portfolio.

Colleges / Universities have a hard time keeping up with tech. There are also code bootcamps that claim to make you job ready in a few months and some even guarantee a job at the end. Bootcamps usually have a high barrier to entry requiring some programming knowledge before even starting! Both can vary in price, but self-taught/online courses is much cheaper or even free.

Should you go to school/bootcamp? If you’re not disciplined enough to hold yourself accountable, learn on your own everyday, and you need a mentor then yes school/bootcamp is a good option for you. Of course it’s also a good experience you could meet someone that will hire you or be a business partner one day. Be prepared to drop that $$$ too.

If you can handle teaching yourself then self taught is a great viable option.

Thanks for asking this question I added it to my FAQ post :smiley:

Bootcamps are good at exposing you to technologies by shoving it down your throat. Especially the ones that are only a couple of months long. This is like those tech courses you take in a week. You only will retain about 10% to 40% of what you are exposed. Can you imagine learning JavaScipt, Ruby, or Python in one or two weeks? There are some fine details that take some longer to understand. The cost is also very expensive, the cheapest being $9,000 (USD).

If I had a spare $20,000, I might consider bootcamps that are longer than 6-months.

6 Things Your Coding Bootcamp Instructors (Secretly) Want You to Know
Is a coding bootcamp worth it? 12 questions you need to ask yourself
Complete guide to the top 24 coding bootcamps

I think what bootcamp buys you is access to the companies/recruiters waiting at the end.

Imagine bootcamp as a pipeline… and the people that manage to go through it and come out at the other end, there will be waiting companies waiting to snatch them up.

That just seems like such a waste of money, I highly doubt they have some kind of ground breaking curriculum. What on earth could they possibly offer worth 9k that I couldn’t do myself? Unless it comes with a guaranteed job offer upon graduation?

If you’re looking to delve headfirst into code and already know what you’d like to specialize in then coding bootcamps or online tutorials might be the way to go. On the other hand, if you’d like to gain a more rounded understanding of the field, a program at your local community college or University may be the better option. That being said, you do not have to have a degree to do well and you certainly don’t have to go into debt for it!

If you do look into schools though, I’d recommend looking for a program at an accredited, not-for-profit school that takes a hands-on, project-based approach and/or includes some kind of internship or client project at the end of your studies. Visit a few schools, talk to the advisors, they should be able to pull up some student work for you to look at, and if they don’t have any… well that’s probably not the best sign.

Good question! First of all, let’s say that depends on many factors (age, time to commit, money, location, final goal)…personaly, looking at my experience, starting from almost zero knowledge, I jumped right into a 6months online bootcamp, while I can say that it helped me a lot in creating a “coder mindset”, no way it made me so proficient and self confident to jump into the real world…I had my opportunities and with a bit of luck I could get them, but considering that the job market here in Europe is extremely fragmented, I always felt there is little room for Juniors WD.
Going back to our point, bootcamp was good, it gave me a good start, but I can easily say that I could reach the same self-studying…said that I m jumping right into a community college in North America t get the ultimate exposure and experience…not about the topics, not about the tool, but as said for the exposure and direct involvement that a real school can give you, and nevertheless, a huge boost in self confidence that (personaly) no bootcamp or self study could give me.

PS…Many college nowadays are updated offering great curriculums since linked to real world companies/ projects; I avoided to look at the "usual Computer Science " and go for something a bit more "modern " involving media, design, 3D, VR…