Just wanted some advice

I started to learn coding back in august of 2022 and just curious about any advice when applying to entry level jobs . I know they always require a bachelor degree (which I don’t have) so what are my best chances ?

1 Like

More information, please.

What type of coding? What type of projects are you building so we can judge your level?

If you share a resume and portfolio (which you’ll need anyway), that would be helpful.

When to apply? There is no harm in applying early. They aren’t going to blackball you, you’re name isn’t going to go on a Do Not Hire Because They Applied When They Weren’t Ready list that all the companies share. I even know a woman that applied before they were ready, then worked hard for a few months and came back and nailed the interview and got a job with a company that had rejected her, being interviewed by mostly the same people. And you may learn things about the hiring process and things to work on. I mean, don’t be ridiculous, but remember that job ads are often unrealistically exaggerated - if you meet half of what they list, you can probably apply.

They don’t always require a Bachelor’s Degree. I don’t have a degree in computers and have worked with several coders that have no degree. It depends on the field and the company. And some countries may have different attitudes about degrees/certification.

2 Likes

You can search for an internship or junior level. You also can try to help with some open source, or write a microblog about what you are studying. But the principle is: you need to have something to show your knowledge, more than an excellent resume, people need to know what you can do.

1 Like

This surely would’ve been nice to know.

Do not have the impression that you need a bachelor’s degree to land a job. The tech market is vast and gives endless opportunities to everyone with or without a degree and I’m speaking from experience. Got my job while still studying without a need for a degree but of course you do need to show your skills and this tells the employer you know your stuff.

Your resume is one of the most important things you’d need when applying to jobs after your projects which showcases your skills. Having projects that speak of your skills effortlessly without need of anyone asking you for a tour or guide gives you better chances IMO.

1 Like

I’m currently Learning how to do the web design from free codecamp curriculum. I have done only 2 projects including the Survey project from them ( idk if that counts :sweat_smile:) but I started for my foundation with html and css and when I obtain the understanding I will move on with JavaScript. I will take any advice ! Truly grateful for the response and advice

I assume you mean web development - “design” would mean creating the layout and choosing colors, fonts, etc. True, in the beginning we do that too, but in a company, you’d probably have someone else do that. FCC teaches development.

I have done only 2 projects including the Survey project from them…

Using the FCC stuff as a measuring stick, I’d say that you shouldn’t even really consider yourself employable until after the first 3 certification. It is a long shot at that point, but it is entering the “remotely possible” range. Realistically, you’re going to want the first 6-7 certs, and then spend 3-18 months building increasingly complex demo projects, doing some open source work, doing some freelance, etc. And of course building a portfolio site and resume, etc.

You mentioned degree before - On the bright side, I don’t know if there is a skilled technical job were it is more likely to be able to land a good paying job with less difficulty without a degree than web dev. True, there are some jobs where they will still want a degree. And it is very difficult to get a first job, degree or not. And yes, it’s a little harder to do if you don’t have a degree, but it is still very possible.

1 Like

Not all employers require a bachelor’s degree. That’s going to vary by country, industry, and company. In my experience (in the US), companies that do list a degree as a requirement in a job posting are very inflexible about that, so if it was me I would put my time and energy into applications that don’t state a degree requirement.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice and for being so prompt to replying truly grateful… I know I’m not ready or even close to being employable but I would greatly appreciate if you were able to look at my projects down the line ! Best regards

Would you recommend going to Bootcamp would be more beneficial or about the same

I think it depends on the person. Some people thrive in the pressure environment of a bootcamp, some people hate that thing. There is also the financial consideration. When I was learning, I had to do it all myself (with the help of FCC). If I’d been a younger man, I would have gone back and gotten a degree. Barring that, if I’d had the time and money, I probably would have done a bootcamp. But that’s just me. You have to decide for yourself. A bootcamp is not required, but for some the structure and pressure would be good. And you make a lot of connections and the bootcamp may have connections in the industry to help you find a first job.

1 Like

I agree it is difficult I am older (29yr old ) and have financial responsibilities … thank you for your insight ! Cheers!

Did you start off just self teaching ? Or did you come from an experienced background

Just building a portfolio and seeing if it’s good enough … do employers prefer that certain language (I.e JavaScript) to hire people ?

Decades ago, I worked in tech a bit, studied a tiny bit of coding in college, did a tiny bit of coding at work. But that was decades ago, in a different language, using very different tech. I never finished my engineering degree, instead switching to music and getting an MA in that. I worked as a musician for a few decades and then started learning through FCC. I used that as a framing device, finished the program, kept learning and building, and eventually got a job.

There are a lot of different stories out there, and a lot of different paths. More so in this job than others, they care a lot more about what you know and what you’ve built.

1 Like

There are a lot of opportunities, Javascript, C#, Rust, PHP, NODE, REACT and more

In your next free time, seat and read this book → How to Learn to Code & Get a Developer Job in 2023 [Full Book]

The person who created FCC made this for people like you (and I)

I read in one evening and changed my mind a lot.

2 Likes

Thank you ! Greatly appreciate the extended hand of help I will definitely read this . If you don’t mind answering how long have you been coding and was it difficult for you build up projects without guidance or do you still use guides ?

I’m studying for 6 to 8 months. But just in the last month I quit my job and focused 100% on code.
I still use guides for more complex projects, but what I trying is follow some guide projects and customize the central idea.
After a row of guides, I use everything I learn in this row and create a bigger project new.
You can check my gitHub.

1 Like

Awesome man will do that ! Been reading the book and I can relate to it very with the tutorial hell part and just not having the confidence of moving forward but glad I have this community that helps out truly appreciate it !

What kind of projects would you recommend that beginners should build ? Any advice on that