Laptop died. Replace with brand new MBP 13" or second hand top spec 15" from 2014?

Laptop died. Replace with brand new MBP 13" or second hand top spec 15" from 2014?

Hi guys,

My mid 2013 MBP just died (rip), and I’m looking for a replacement.

I’m either going with a 13" space grey i5 MBP (brand new) with 256gb storage and upgraded ram (16gb). This comes to $2300 AUD with a student discount.

I’ve also found a second hand 2014 MBP 15" max spec that was just listed for sale. It comes with 1tb storage (ssd), 64gb ram, 2.6 quad core i7, and dedicated graphics. It’s $2400AUD.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Update
I didn’t go with the used MBP. I ended up buying a new 13" MBP with touchbar. Apple has a 14 day return policy, and I intend to use it.

I’m probably going to swap this out next weekend for a full spec MacBook air i7.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I would go for i7, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 15" screen (bigger better for me). If everything is OK with it then that would be my choice.

Depends on your priority… small size or bigger screen?

Personally, I would go for the i7 with the 15" screen. i7 should will also allow you hyperthreading, great for running VM environments like Parallels.

+1 for the 15 inch. Can never underestimate screen real estate.

A 1tb SSD would be worth almost half the entire cost of the machine by itself, so that’s a total steal. However, I’m pretty sure that no MBP has ever been capable of 64gb of RAM, so double check those stats and make sure you’re not getting fleeced.

Sorry! Typo on my end. It has 16gb of ram as well.