Laptop Recommendations

Hello everyone,

First post here. Happy to be a part of this community! Haven’t seen an updated topic on this since 2020 but…

Looking into purchasing a new laptop for front-end development (for now). I currently use my iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen for web-based coding but would like to branch out and use other programs like VS Code and such. Since I have an iPad, I’d like to get a MacBook since I can use Sidecar and use it has a second display already. Was looking at the M1 MBA today until I found out the 2022 M2 MBA starts shipping tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on the M1 vs M2 chips? What Windows-based laptops would you recommend? What are some minimum specs I should look for? Not quite sure where I’d like to go as far as coding but would like something future proof.

Appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

Fortunately front end development isn’t that intensive on hardware. Any non-low-budget laptop released in the last 5 years should handle it perfectly fine. An M1 macbook would be plenty. If you ever want to do some graphics-intensive work, like game development, then maybe you ought to look into a windows laptop with a discrete gpu. But most programming-related activities aren’t really that expensive, honestly.

1 Like

They provide excellent performance, and power savings compared to Intel based Macbooks, as Apple has full control from the hardware, to the software level. There is a slight issue with it being a new chip architecture, so not all apps will work with them. But in regards to developer tools/app support you’ll be fine 99% of the time. All major software, like VSCode and tools support M1.

I’d assume M2 is supported the same and supports the same architecture, but I’d verify that on your own.

Unlike Apple products, where there are a few choices, and a few levels within those choices, Windows products are vastly more broad. To the point there is not real single reference, or even multiple references that are “go-tos”. Depending on your budget, and depends you could easily look at 5+ different manufactures for nearly the same specs. The difference usually lies in the details, and even those details might make or break the overall decision.

Generally for windows machines, for development you’d probably want:

• Windows 11 support if you want to be “future proofed”
  • WSL2 - easily one of the best ways to leverage Linux tools, while keeping the stability of windows.
  • Linux support - if you want to fully ditch windows, then having Linux support for your computer of choice should be checked directly for the model. Generally Linux will work most of the time, but you might have issues installing it due to BIOS level security, issues installing in general, and possible hardware issues you may or maynot be able to fix. So getting direct confirmation that your exact laptop model worked for someone before should be done to make sure this can stay an option. The more popular/main-stream the model, the higher the chance you’ll find info/docs for your distro.

Assuming your budget is 1k USD, where you generally have near complete flexibility for the most common spec setups you’d want to go for:

• 32gb of ram is enough for now and years down the road, 16gb is fine as well, but may run into walls if your doing really heavy duty stuff
  • higher-ish CPU, means faster code execution. For reference, an intel I5 should be good, but most laptops focus on efficiency over power. So not all I5 intels run the same. However, again unless your doing something really heavy, a “mid-teir” CPU will be fine for coding just fine.
  • Hard-drive - any sort of SSD should suffice, even a 225gb drive would work, but I’d aim for 1TB, or at least 500gb. As a developer you really wont use much memory most of the time, but if you want to do something like dual boot and install “all the software” then 500gb will keep your options open.

If your more on a budget then you might want to think about mobility and desktop options, as they are more flexible, can be upgraded and generally provide more bang for your buck, but you’ll need to buy externals (which also can be upgraded) and obviously lose out on mobility.

Finally, I’d like to point out that you can get pretty far with development with really any machine if you really leverage your online options. Still, not everything can be replicated perfectly with online tools, so having your own stuff can help, but it isn’t a requirement to get started. :slight_smile:

Hi our friends!!

I would like to buy a good laptop for coding ( Javascript) , i am thinking about this

it’s expensive, but is difficult to find, laptop with max 64 gb ram, i believe is good for 5 years from now to work with.

What is your opinions?

Thank you in advance :sunglasses:

Luckily, front-end development does not require a high-end computing device. Any modern computer should be more than capable of supporting your needs, unless you plan to do some extensive 3D rendering/graphics.

I am planning to learn about Node. js too.
I think 16 gb of ram is the minimum for this, because of that i would like to buy a good laptop , with high quality and warranty.

Am i wrong?

Thank you for your information :sunglasses:

Hello,

for Windows based laptops I highly recommend HP EliteBooks. I’m learning on a 840 G3 from 2017, also frontend focused, and it’s a reliable work horse that never let’s me down. It was under €300 on Ebay.

For specs get as much RAM as you can and an SSD harddrive with over 200 gigs, especially React projects are eating disk space.

In always prefer the business lines of any computer brand. They tend to be alot sturdier and more costumizable than the consumer models.

Yes, because of that I would like to buy a good laptop .
React is in my plans also , the more memory and hdd space ( speed) is better, I think.

Thank you for your time and support my friend :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.