Looking for Honest Critique/Feedback

Tell us what’s happening:

I don’t have so much of a problem, as I’m hoping to get some honest feedback on my work and progress so far. I’ve spent quite a bit of time off and on working on just the Responsive Web Design content and I’ve only got 1 more challenge left before I move on. However, I don’t want to move forward without some feedback from real people who can critique my work.

FYI: I did not actually fill it out will full mock content, but did it with placeholders and my own writings I used in the paragraphs. Should this be an actual site, I would obviously flush this out and I may still eventually go back and finish it fully to use as a sample page of my work in the future.

Thank you for any and all comments and topics thus far.

Your code so far

https://codepen.io/Ravhawk/full/VwpZVPw

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.93 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Technical Documentation Page

Link to the challenge:

Hi @ravhawk !

I have moved your topic over to the #project-feedback section.

I think your page looks good.

For smaller devices, I think it would be better to have the navbar on top instead of fixed to the left.
Otherwise the content becomes hard to read.

You have a couple of errors in your html.
Run your code through the html validator

In codepen, you don’t to include head tags and html tags.
That is already built in for you.

If you need to include links for the head you can do that in the html settings.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for moving it to the correct topic forum. I wasn’t aware that there was an area for that. I should have looked.

As for the navbar, I would agree with your assessment. I only put it there and left it there due to that is how they had it in the example and TBH, I was under the assumption that is where they wanted it. But I assume it doesn’t really matter.

As for the unnecessary tags, I only left them in there to get into the habit of using them and wanted to start making the habit of doing so.

I only learned of the html validator today and will absolutely go back and run it.

Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

When you make the browser window smaller on the example project then you will see that the nav bar is on the top.

It only needed to be on the left for laptop sizes. :grinning:

1 Like

That is awesome to know! I will need to start getting in the habit of making sure to check smaller versions, I didn’t even think to check that. Now my real question is HOW to get it to do that, lol.

In codepen, you can change the editor view and adjust the size of the preview window from there

Your page looks okay @ravhawk. Some things to revisit;

• Codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in the HTML editor. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
  • The user story calls for the nav to be on the left for normal sized devices. It would be nice if you moved it to the top for smaller devices.
  • In programming circles, you’ll see a lot of conversation about (technical) documentation, in reference to explaining an API, library, project contribution, etc. Reading and writing good documentation is an important skill and doing this project about a code related subject gives you a good reason to go do some research about the tools you are learning to use.

I did remove/edit the html to reflect as you mentioned about the html and body elements. I was more trying to get into the habit of doing so, but I understand it throws off the flow and is unnecessary for Codepen.

I wasn’t aware of the ability to add to the head element, so I did make that change too, to clean it up.

I also do need to find out how to do that for the navbar. I assume that is best done via an @media element.

I will definitely do more research on the technical documentation material. I admit, I don’t know much about it right now, but will expand my knowledgebase.

Thank you.

Yeah you can use a media query for the navbar.

1 Like

Since you’re learning HTML and CSS you could have done a page on either of those.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.