My tribute page, but I don't know if it's right

Hey people and aliens! How you doin?
I just finished my tribute page and went to research a few tribute pages in the codepen.io to see if people did something like mine (you know, what if I did it wrong?) and ended up finding many different tribute pages from the example that the FCC gave, they are more elaborate. In comparison, mine got pretty simple and now I’m even ashamed of it lol. FCC is my first contact with HTML and CSS. So I was wondering if I could apply my project the way it is or do I really have to research more? FCC also says I can use Javascript to make my tribute page but I’ve never even seen a single javascript tutorial. Is it better to take all classes and then apply the projects? I’m feeling very lost here haha
my tribute page

4 Likes

I remember feeling the same way back when I was doing some of those projects.
You should realize some people may have been further along in their coding journey when they did the same projects, or sometimes people go back and do them again once they’ve gained new skills, so I wouldn’t worry to much about comparing it to others just yet.
If you feel it’s good enough and it met all the criteria then it’s probably fine. You can always go back later and update if you feel like it, some of my projects are on their fifth and sixth iterations lol.
But it never hurts to research more and keep growing your knowledge.

2 Likes

Honestly, your tribute page is pretty nice - easy to read, easy to look at, and has a clear purpose; things that I consider to be the most important things when designing a web page. There are people with incredibly complex projects who may have had more experience when they came to FCC - I assume this is your first project you’ve completed and that it passes all the tests plus a bit extra design, so I think this is just fine for your level of experience. There is no right and wrong with the projects outside of passing the tests.

That being said, I absolutely encourage delving deeper into what you can do with your code. It certainly isn’t a requirement to finish most of the projects, but if you’re interested, take a look at other projects and websites and start to try incorporating more complex elements to your own while figuring out how they work, people learn best via experience. Just make sure you don’t spend so much time on a single project that you get stuck, expanding into developing your other projects might give you an idea and make you want to go back to add to it.

2 Likes

Nice page, especially for the beginning. I will share my tribute page soon too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe it is fine. As you learn more you can always go back and update it. That is what I am planning to do.

1 Like

Your page is very good. In mobile view the image is not cropping correctly other than that design is good.

1 Like

Hi @fernanda.is.learning, welcome to the forums. Your tribute page looks good but there are a few things you may want to revisit;

• Keep the test script when forking the pen (<script src="https://cdn.freecodecamp.org/testable-projects-fcc/v1/bundle.js"></script>). Your page passes 8/10 user stories.
  • codepen only expects the code you’d put within the <body> </body> tags in HTML. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to <head> click on the ‘Settings’ button and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
    • The link to your font would go in the box labeled ‘Stuff for <head>’
  • codepen provides validators for HTML, CSS and JS. Click on the down arrow in the upper right of each section and then click on the respective ‘Analyze’ link.
    • In HTML you have some invalid uses of an element. And looking at your code I’m not sure why you put in the <br> element. Each new <li> will start on it’s own line. If you want to add some additional spacing maybe consider using line-height in CSS.
    • In CSS you have a typo and an invalid attribute (I’m not sure what you were looking for)
1 Like

It’s so good to know I’m not alone in this. Now I realize this, but it’s still a bit frustrating when you’re not on the same level as most people who do the same thing, you know? There’s a lot to learn! Yesterday I stayed late at night seeing how to do some cool things (not the complex ones) and I actually learned a lot, and I’ve already started making changes to my project. Feels good to see that I can always learn more and improve what I already have. Thank you so much for the feedback!

1 Like

I was so encouraged by your words! You’re right, this is my first project and I was so afraid of not being at the “good work level” for this project. Yesterday I stayed late at night seeing how to do some cool things (not the complex ones) and I actually learned a lot, I mean, there’s so much to learn! And knowing that my project is good for my level of knowledge has given me an extra incentive to research and learn more. Thank you so much for the feedback!

1 Like

Thank you!! Now I wanna see your tribute page too :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!! I didn’t know we could do this after applying the project (yeap, I’m that slow), and that’s awesome! I’m going to do that too.

Oh, I hadn’t tested it on my phone yet and had no idea this was happening, but I just fix the code now. Thank you!!!

Hey @Roma, thank you! I saw your post yesterday, like about 20 minutes after you sent, but was so late here and I was so tired that I didn’t understand anything that I was reading anymore lol. So, today with a good mug of coffee I can give you a proper reply. With English not being my birth-language, I still have some difficult/slow times on understanding what to do, for example, the test script, I knew that I should run the test but I didn’t know how. Also, this tribute page was my first interaction with codepen so I’m still figuring out how it works. Thank you so much for the tips!! I revisited all the things that you talked about and now my page passes 10/10 user stories. About the <br> element, I saw a tutorial on youtube that says that if you want more space between lines, paragraphs or anything that includes text, you should use the <br> element, that’s why I used but now I realize that it’s just to break lines. I tested the line-height in CSS, it’s nice, but what I was looking for is a space just between each <li> element and I ended-up using a ‘margin-bottom: 13px;’ instead of the <br>. About the typo and the invalid attribute in CSS, I can’t remember what was the purpose so I just deleted both haha. And again, thank you so much!!

1 Like

You don’t have to feel ashamed about your project because we are all bad when we start coding. I really like the light colors and simple design you chose. I would suggest you pick a font that matches the subject you chose.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Hi @fernanda.is.learning, like I said, your page was looking good. There were a few things that needed cleaning up and after some explanation you did just that. And you did a great job!. Congratulations.
It was your first project and you’re learning. That’s the main thing, learning.
I can’t wait to see your next project.
Happy coding!

1 Like

Hey @Roma! Thank you. There’s so much to learn, and I’m excited about this! I just finished the Survey Form project. Could you give me feedback there too? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, thank you! I’m gonna look for another font. :slightly_smiling_face:

I liked your tribute page. Neat and cool colors!

1 Like

Hey, @vec07! Thank you for the feedback! :smiley:

1 Like