Need some advice, lost in thoughts

I am lost…

Ive been learning about computers, since i was 9, and along the way i got a chance to work in a company as a tester and if i was good they would train me to be a programmer of delphi 7. Now that did not go as planned, i lost my self in there, i was only a 14 old and did not take it enough seriously.

when i was 16 i worked in a tech shop fixing PCs, installing softwares building systems for about a year.
After i did a course of networking just to know even more about hardware and connections.

and when i was 21 years old i started a course of .net beginning with C then C++ and finally C#. i tried to find a job after that with not much success. So after 1 year searching i kind of lost hope.

My question is: for someone with my kind of background, what can i do? What language should i learn now in 2017?? I wish i had the time to learn all of them but i want to focus and be the best i can in one language first, and maybe if i am lucky i can start working, and in the way i learn more…

please advise me… where should i go from here?? i tried learning advanced C# on edX courses but my friend tell me that the language is dead…

if you read all i really appreciate and thank you. if you can advise me it would be amazing!

what about Java :slight_smile: <3

Just java is enough for todays market?

What do you want to build?

Well yes…Lots of job opportunities,powerful development tools…

thats my problem i want to build so many things, i dont know how to start them, i can imagine the stages and all, how it could work what would i need, time needed, then i quit cause i see that is too much, would love to create games, smart apps, i really want to work and learn more non stop,i rush too much

Do you have your work on GitHub or the like so that other programmers can see your work? Also you may want to consider some ceritifications or free courses. It seems to me that you have to show ppl the money. If you know what I mean.

i started the gitHub last year and got really fixed on it, was working for hours strait rushing, but life calls, work and all and i lost the focus

Pick one thing.

Choose a suitable language.

Don’t stop until you are finished.

Start with smaller projects if you want to change things up while you find your favourite thing.

1 Like

I hear you. I used to work on projects for 10 hours straight then I would get burned out. I would drop it and might not return to it. Now I work on something for a couple hours AT THE MOST per session. This way I keep the work going slow and steady like the tortoise in the story. I might do several sessions a day but I try to balance the work with life too. :wink:

yea maybe thats what i need. go slowly. so you guys say java?

Your friend is surely just winding you up

You know C#. Unless you need Java for a job, learning it means you’re learning something that’s almost exactly the same as the thing you already know. I mean it won’t be hard to learn, there’s just no point

Edit: Re C#, relatively new language built to fix issues with Java/C++, incredibly widely used, fully backed by one of the largest tech companies in the world, has sat at or around the top of “most widely used” metrics (eg Tiobe index) since it was created, is generally thought of as excellent, has just been open sourced, becoming de facto standard scripting language for game engines, busy trying to be de facto standard for cross-platform app development via Xamarin.

So what do you suggest, to learn more? start a few projects in C#??

C# is not dead. Your friend is smoking something bad. :slight_smile:

This stack will be a good solid foundation, allowing you to create almost any web application:

C#
.NET Framework - (not the old, sucky ASPX webforms) but version 4.x, or .NET Core 2.0+. You can do MVC, or Webpages/Razor syntax, API services. .NET Core 2 was just officially released about 2 months ago.
Javascript
VueJS / Angular / React or the like
jQuery - debatable, but for quick DOM effects its a no brainer
CSS + frameworks like Bootstrap, Material, etc.
SQL + backend database

In addition, C# can also be used to create iOS/Android native mobile apps. If you want to go that route too.

And with the new .NET Core framework, your .NET apps can now run also on OSX, Linux and of course Windows servers. Cross platform IDE editors available at no charge.

How old are you now? And what’s your goal? Do you want to do this for a job and, if so, how long do you have before you need to be earning money with it?

The best language to learn depends on lots of things, such as where you live and what the job market’s like there.

Programming languages don’t die easily and there are new ones being born all the time - there are passionate groups of people all over the internet who will convince you that their thing is the thing you should learn. It can be easy to find yourself spinning in circles and drowning in advice and I hesitate to add more, but…

It’s worth considering that if you want to make anything that gets delivered to a browser, you’re going to need to know at least some Javascript. For example “VueJS / Angular / React” as mentioned by owel, which are all Javascript frameworks, not C#.

Javascript also has some other advantages that make it good to learn with: There’s minimal configuration, the source code of other people’s programs is easy to access, there’s a huge community and all the tools and docs are basically free (probably true of all languages now).

Once you’ve really understood how to build things in one language, it becomes a LOT easier to learn new ones.

Languages are just tools to build things, so yes, just building projects is the best way to go.

You can learn languages just for the sake of learning languages, but without building things you’re only going to have an academic knowledge. That’s useful, but you’ll lack the knowledge of why and when individual languages are useful, what their weak points are. It’s also very difficult to get really good at using tools unless you buckle down and actually use them. When you find yourself in need of something that uses another language, that would be the point at which it would be a good idea to start looking at that language.

• C# gives you knowledge of an object oriented paradigm.
  • C gives you knowledge of systems programming, and the foundation of most widely-used languages.
  • C++ same, allows you to build highly performant (normally games) systems, access to low-level with an OO structure.

JavaScript is arguably the only universal language, you can’t get away from it if you want to build web apps. Not strictly speaking necessary if you’re more interested in backend or games.

If you really want to learn more languages, a broad, useful base of knowledge that is going to play very well re jobs - eg would allow you to understand most things put in front of you:

• A systems language (ie C)
  • An OO language (C#)
  • A functional language (F# would be the obvious choice)
  • JavaScript
  • SQL

What do you want to build?
If you interested in ios app development then go for swift::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
For android app development you can learn kotlin but you can continue with java
For web development :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:you are in right place.

If C# was indeed dead, then it wouldn’t have survived for 17 years with continuing improvements. I agree with DanCouper, stick with one language and learn it well. That could be C#, Java or C++ (wouldn’t recommend).

i am 26. and i have time, not much time to learn but i don’t need to start working right now, i can take my time.

I Live in Israel, there is everything here but i hear the most jobs use Java.

if i needed to choose from these 2 it would be android. would love to build games, or make apps for robotics. Just dont know where to go from here. like @DanCouper said i have academic knowledge, but no experience i need to start projects and just learn from it…