Next step after Heroku for deployment

Hi, folks. When it comes to deployment, lots of websites have made life easy for us. FreeCodeCamp starts us off with CodePen, which makes our front-end-only website available with no work on our part. Then we move to Glitch, which does the same thing, but with a server side. After finishing the FreeCodeCamp curriculum and doing independent projects, I wanted to take one step further in complexity, and started deploying to Heroku. Now I’m in the long slog toward finding my first developer job, and I need to take the next step forward in learning about deployment, but I’m not really sure what that next step is or what resources might be good to learn. While applying for jobs, the most common things I’m seeing are AWS and Azure, followed by Docker and Kubernetes, and to a lesser extent, Google Cloud Platform.
Any advice on this front would be a great help!

I would say learn a languagse like javscript and then bootstrap and jquery
they have them all for free here so i would say check it out
FCC also recently recleased and AWS youtube video for if ure intressted

Thank you for the reply, but I think you may have misunderstood the question. :slight_smile: I’m looking for advice on deployment, not programming. The FCC YouTube video may be useful!

HTML = the bones
CSS = the skin
JS = the muscles

Since you where quote " our front-end-only website available with no work on our part"
and since Software deployment is all of the activities that make a [software system] I thought it made sense to tell you that part of information?

Hey there. You should totally get familiar with docker and kubernetes, those are the basics for cloud computing. Then if you want to get to know aws, give it a try on the free tier.
You might want to check this: https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
Look at the devops part.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll certainly give it a read.

I’d second learning Docker and how to deploy containers to the cloud - it’s the most flexible way to go, then you can use any of the cloud providers with any stack. I had a go at deploying an asp.net web api to AWS and Google cloud but found them very over complicated to work out what’s free and how much I’d have to pay for what I wanted. I’ve settled on Azure for a couple of reasons 1) the MS learning platform is great so it’s easy the learn Azure, 2) I work in the ms stack mostly and the whole ecosystem is really well integrated (but it works with node, Python, docker containers) 3) setting up CI/CD pipelines directly from a github repo is (almost) as simple as a few mouse clicks 4) the Azure gui/dashboard/portal is also nice and simple, which suits me!

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been going through the beginner tutorial on the Docker site. Made an AWS account, and I definitely see what you’re saying about trying to figure out where the line for free services is drawn. Does Azure have a free tier to use for learning? I’ve been on a Mac for ages, so Microsoft’s ecosystem has totally passed me by. Looking at the job market, it looks like a pretty necessary learning investment.

No worries. Yes, Azure has a free tier. There are some services that are free forever (e.g. App Service is - you can deploy web apps here) and some that are free for 12 months (SQL Server instances up to 250 Gb).Azure free
You just have to be careful of the volume of requests because you get charged after a certain amount. I’ve found that it’s plenty for development/learning though.
I develop on an Mac (late 2012 iMac) with a Boot Camp Windows partition. You can develop .NET applications on Mac OS but the experience at the moment isn’t anywhere near as good as on Windows. It’s definitely worth being aware of the MS stuff - there’s a pretty big job market, especially in ASP.NET development, and MS are investing massively in getting developers on board. good luck!