No jobs here for junior javascript developers - EDIT: Got The JOB Guys!

Hi, thanks for posting this article. I was just wondering have you taken any of the courses over at skillcrush? I signed up for a webinar they are having this week on making WordPress themes. I see that is a course they are offering as well. Just wondering if anyone here has done any of their courses.

Thanks again

joedun, did you post in this thread by mistake?

I still didnt receive a reply.
I am wondering if it is a good idea to send an email and ask them about the results or whether I am accepted or not.
What do you guys think??

It has been 6 days now, and you can certainly write them. Start off by saying you are still interested in the job and wanted some news on your application. Keep it brief and polite.

Usually, the employers do contact candidates that went through interviews and test, but maybe they were receiving more candidates and wanted some time to choose.

@silentarrowz Heā€™s replying to my reply to you. Sorry for thread hijacking. As for what youā€™re going through, yet again, I donā€™t have any personal experience so take my advice w/ a whole heaping pile of salt, but I have been reading about boot camps a lot lately, and even some of those who go through crazy intense, highly recommended programs donā€™t find jobs for monthsā€¦ but it does happen eventually. I read one boot camp grad applied to over 70 different jobs before she got one, but once she did, it was one she loved that paid great. So keep at it. Keep learning, keep practicing, and keep applying to local and remote positions. Your dedication will show through and someone will bite eventually. Good luck with your job search.

@joedun1984 I havenā€™t taken any skillcrush blueprints yet, but there are people on FCC who have. Try searching the forum for skillcrush to find some of their personal experiences. I know at least one person in the introduction thread answered my question about whether or not sheā€™d recommend going through their classes. (She did, btw.) Good luck w/ the course. Let me know how you like it. Iā€™m still on the fence about skillcrush.

Well, I wrote to them and received a reply that I didnt qualify the machine test.
Well, there goes another job.

I am now really thinking of learning php as I see a lot of jobs for junior php developers in my city.
The only problem is that this will hamper getting learning nodejs and getting the backend certificates.

I am quite confused about what to do.
Should I go ahead and learn php mysql or continue with the fcc program??
I am thinking to learn php now get a job and then continue learning from fcc.
What do you guys think??

Hey , instead a doing a job , what do you think about a internship , which may last from 2 - 6 months , but in the end if your performance is good the same company could offer you a job , if they donā€™t than you can still mention in it resume or they could help you getting one

well, it sounds good. I just hope not having a degree wont be a problem in that case.

no it wonā€™t be necessary eveywhere, just try in a bigger firm so that probability of job after internship will be more

OH, sounds good.
Any ideas where to look for an internship then??
Any sites. I know about internshala, but let me know if there are any others.

angel.co is a place from where i got my first job

1 Like

wow! for frontend position??
did you have a degree??

Yeah , i do have one can you tell me places where you applied and they were looking for a year exp ,
and i am a full stack developer

Well, I was kinda just applying for all the jobs I felt I was eligible for.
Didnt look much at the company names though.
I just searched for jobs with 0 year experience and got some with 0 years required and others with 1 to 5 years.

Well, where did you learn the full stack thing. Itā€™s taking a lot of time and I am worried about the job.
I wish to proceed further and complete the full fcc certification but i need to practice building sites using what I have already learnt. That is important too.
Going crazy at the moment.

I was on a similar position, I did all three interviews, the third was pairing session, I had one hour to build a modal, I was nervous and started with React and ES6 which was what i would actually be using if I get hired and then ended up switching because we were having issues with jsfiddle and we were both new to it so in 30 minutes I completed almost everything, he showed me why my button wouldnā€™t center and told me that i should heard back in a couple of days, 8 days later I was told I didnā€™t get the job.

During that week+ I was nervous at times, positive at others. But overall it seems that if they donā€™t reply in two days is because they are looking for someone better or just canā€™t be bothered to reject you in a timely manner as they are busy recruiting other people.

Iā€™m in NYC and most junior positions still ask for 5+ years or so many different technologies that if I had them all I would be applying for a senior position instead.

3 Likes

Yeah, so true.
Seems like they werent bothered to replyā€¦i.e until I asked them what happened.

There is a similar situation here, where they want the developer to know
almost more than the full stack - about 2 years experienceā€¦
ā€¦ All that for a junior position with minimum wages.

I dont know why would anyone who already has so much experience or knowledge would apply for a junior position at all.

1 Like

Its obvious that ,companies will like to hire more professional,Experienced personal although they have to pay a bit more but it will save the the training time , and now the same time is now being used to generate the money. Donā€™t worry about that smaller companies will always be like that. What i did was i applied for internships rather that job , most of the time they just require just some relevant knowledge of the subject. In many cases you mind end up working for free or a very less pay for the internship time period. But their are great benefits of doing internship.

By the time you finish your internship you will have a professional experience , also the companies also offer a job after internship ,

you also build some good contacts that may help you lading up into a job .

although in my case i applied for an internship , as a part of application process they asked me to complete a programming challenge , after i completed that they directly offered me a full time position .I guess i was lucky :wink:

3 Likes

One year of experience can be unpaid, self-learning experience, if you have the portfolio to back it up.

1 Like

Well, guys. guess what?
I got the job.
itā€™s a job where I need to work on react , redux and will be using node js too, so after a while Iā€™ll be working on full stack. :smile:

But yeah, I had to relocate to a different city.

Anyways, got the job.
And I am quite happy .

9 Likes