Portfolio -did you code from stratch?

Portfolio -did you code from stratch?

I am curious, when you did you portfolio project, did you write all your code from scratch? I see there are blocks of code that can be copied from bootstrap, etc. I am working on mine and I see it is very basic compared to others so I am wondering if I am very slow because this project seems to be a big jump from working on the cat app…

Nothing wrong with copying the example code from Bootstrap site showing how their framework works.

** just make sure you understand why

I honestly think that FCC isn’t detailed enough in its coverage of HTML and CSS. Make sure you supplement your study of this with other resources. They really should have students coding out an entire simple static page as one of their exercises, rather than letting CodePen or their own in-browser text editor handle that behind the scenes for you. At least for one or two exercise so that the student has a better understanding of the underlying principles of creating an HTML document.

I do think their coverage of JavaScript and the rest is excellent, though. I’m learning a lot in this area!

Exactly. I agree with owel.
These projects purpose is to let you practice on something. If they force you to go on technical documentations to study them, they already reached their goal :slight_smile:
It’s up to you to test yourself: you can copy from bootstrap to test its code and make practice on this useful framework. I don’t think it’s a big deal if just copying it you’re learning something: how to use it in a basic way, at least.

One possible technique: When you look at other’s… ask yourself what you like about it… and what they did (just in descriptive ways… like: “their menu was able to be hidden by clicking an icon”) and then go and try to find out how to do that yourself… even if it’s just a practice Pen to try out that part of Bootstrap or Foundation or jQuery or even vanilla CSS/JS…

Try to get in the habit of looking at something you like and trying to figure out what it does… and how it does it… and research what you do not know about it…

Just in case you didn’t know, our latest curriculum (https://beta.freecodecamp.com) covers html a lot better. Also, coding out an entire page by yourself (without codepen) isn’t going to happen as it is against one of freeCodeCamp’s primary aims: the ability for anyone to create a website without leaving their browser. That said, I think building one of the projects offline (though it can’t be required) is a great idea.

Good to know that about beta, @IsaacAbrahamson. Thanks! And I didn’t realize creating a website within a browser was part of the FCC philosophy (I reckon I missed this in the documentation somewhere :innocent:). I still feel like education on building a website is incomplete without that component. I haven’t looked at the beta site yet; just been plugging away at the current FCC site. Maybe I should have a peek and see how it’s coming along.

When are the new exercises going to be released?

And what is the protocol for going back to new pages after you’ve finished the section in a previous release?

There are answers to this all over the forum. I think the goal is Nonmember, but not unless everything is ready. Try reading this:

Also, if you still have questions, be sure to ask Quincy, he’ll probably be glad to let you know the status.

Personally, I think that copy/pasting code while learning is not a good idea. How can you say you completed a challenge if you just copied it?

I honestly think that working developers rarely do anything “from scratch”. It is better to find the pieces you want and then make them all work together.

The goal should’t be to become a “working” developer. The goal should be to become a capable, educated developer who can write his own code. Anyone can copy paste pieces and call himself a “better” developer without having any idea of what he is doing. If that is your goal in life, get off freeCodeCamp and just read StackOverflow all day. We are here to learn how to code. Obviously everyone copies “pieces” of other’s work, ideas, etc., but no one should be content with just copy-pasting code without having any idea of what is going on, nor is it “better” to do so. There is going to come a day when you can’t find some “piece” that you want. What are you going to do then, ask the government to make it for you?

“The goal should be to become a capable, educated developer who can write his own code.”

Kind of pointless to differ with what I said. Your description of what a developer should be is
exactly what I mean by a “Working developer”. I also mentioned on making those pieces WORK TOGETHER. Sorry if you missed that. If you are a working developer and are not copy and pasting
bits of code that you need, you probably aren’t a very efficient developer.

If I may, I believe there is a difference between a working environment and a learning environment… Here, in learning environment, the point is to learn the skills we need to become capable developers…in that, the ability to actually develop, not just an ability to copy and paste code. Sure, of course, once you already know everything, it makes sense to take advantage of available tools to make your job easier. No reason to write from everything from scratch just because you know how. That is very different though from only copying and pasting because its the only thing you know.

Personally, Im a copy and paste developer :laughing: Through the years, I have snagged pieces of code to complete all sorts of freelance projects. Between well commented out code, stack overflow and google, I didnt do half bad. But…up til 2 weeks ago, if you asked me what console.log was you would have gotten a blank stare of epic proportions.

I dont want to hack away at a code and figure out a way to make it work anymore…I want to actually learn. Once I have learned, then yeah, no big deal. But for very sure, as it stands now, I could not with a clear conscious consider myself a capable educated developer because the difference between my copy and paste and one of someone who is already where I want to be is…they know actually know what all that stuff means.

Myself, and anyone else here, can do better than settle for copy and paste when we are more than capable of actually learning development.

That is the only flaw I found on FCC. This is also my first post to go to the next step.

I wrote my portfolio from scratch, it gives u immense freedom to do whatever you want to do. I absolutely sucks writing styles using bootstrap. And yeah, there is no problem in copying everybody does, but do not copy code, instead copy the pattern and concept.

https://a-pandey.github.io/portfolio

Hey Y’all,

I did do my first portfolio project from scratch, but i made a portfolio for a friend of mine at the time, now im wishing i hadn’t lol! I’m going to go back and make my own portfolio, probably not from scratch this time :slight_smile:

The further you go in programming the more tools and patterns you will need to know.
If you copy and paste code now, what will you do when you need such things like Nodejs, Gulp, Express, Webpack, npm scripts, databases or frameworks like React or Angular? At the beginning you will use patterns from tutorials, but sometimes programmers open source code to know how a tool exactly work but a programmer who just copied code before will not able to understand that code.

Except for FCC you should use another learning courses, and tutorials for learning html5, css3, bootstrap and JS. Also it is a good idea to implement behaviors and patterns you like in your work but not by copying code.

I do everything from scratch and build up on my own library. I despise copy and paste without first hand know what it does, unless it is something that is completely over my head.

I have a friend that does this sort of thing. Calls himself a professional and lie about his credentials. Started his business claiming that he has 25 years of experience made me sick.

@admI95,

FCC gives you a guideline to follow. The jump from cat app to portfolio is a creative jump. You combine what you learned and show your creativity. Programming isn’t easy to learn, it takes practice. As you progress, you will tweak your portfolio to show what you have learned. I highly recommend doing projects in an IDE like Atom, Sublime, etc. It gives you a better feel for the programming environment and is useful for using GiT(Github is built on GiT) and React(learn Html,CSS and JavaScript, first). If not, when it’s time for you to collaborate on projects, you’ll have another aspect to learn.