Problem with <code> tag

Hi! I am working on the Technical Documentation project. My documentation is about
DITA XML/ Markdown syntax. I tried putting some DITA snippets inside the html
<code> tag and VS code parses it as regular code. So I tried putting a <pre> tag around the DITA and that did not solve the problem. Here are the snippets.

<code>
                <!--start code 
                    <topic id="topic_title">
                    <title>Topic title</title>
                    <topic id="nested_topic_title">
                      <title>Nested topic title</title>
                    </topic>
                  </topic> -->
            </code>

I have figured out with using special characters how to get the code snippets to display, however I am not getting the whitespace I need to indent some of the code snippet lines where they are nested. to render in the output.

<pre><code>&lt;topic id="topic_title"&gt;
                <!-- needs 1 tab whitespace -->&lt;title&gt;Topic title&lt;/title&gt;
               <!-- needs 1 tab whitespace --> &lt;topic id="nested_topic_title"&gt;
                  <!-- needs 2 tabs whitespace -->&lt;title&gt;Nested topic title&lt;/title&gt;
                &lt;/topic&gt;
              &lt;/topic&gt;</code>
            </pre>

If you want to show us your code here then you need to wrap it with three backticks (three backticks on a line by itself, then your code below, then three more backticks after your code on a line by itself).

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

To display and not get the code snippet interpreted you’ll need to change the angle brackets into their respective HTML entities.

And on a side note, you don’t nest pre within code, it’s the other way around.

Ok thanks! Sorry about the confusion with formatting of my code snippet folks.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.