Profile Lookup - I need some help with this

Tell us what’s happening:
I have just started getting into coding and really enjoying it so far, however I have ran into my first problem and I would like some advice on how I could diagnose and solve problems more efficiently as I don’t do the best under pressure.

This is what I typed for my solution. I only got 2/6 tasks correct and both are about the returning “No such contact”. To be perfectly honest I got quite confused on how I should do the first if statement. I have done a for loop and inside the first if statement, I’m trying to check whether the object I’m looping through has “Akira” as its “firstName”.

Then in the second if statement, I checked if the object in the array has both the ‘name’ and ‘prop’ values set by the function. At that point I was going by assumptions that it would stay in the same object where the first if statement found “Akira” in. I’m a beginner and I don’t fully understand how everything works so feel free to point out everything that is wrong or right.

What do you think I can do to solve this problem? I don’t want full answers but clues or tips that will help lead me to a solution. If you could give me some advice or resources I can look up on that will improve problem solving then that would be amazing of you.

Your code so far

//Setup
var contacts = [
    {
        "firstName": "Akira",
        "lastName": "Laine",
        "number": "0543236543",
        "likes": ["Pizza", "Coding", "Brownie Points"]
    },
    {
        "firstName": "Harry",
        "lastName": "Potter",
        "number": "0994372684",
        "likes": ["Hogwarts", "Magic", "Hagrid"]
    },
    {
        "firstName": "Sherlock",
        "lastName": "Holmes",
        "number": "0487345643",
        "likes": ["Intriguing Cases", "Violin"]
    },
    {
        "firstName": "Kristian",
        "lastName": "Vos",
        "number": "unknown",
        "likes": ["JavaScript", "Gaming", "Foxes"]
    }
];

function lookUpProfile(name, prop){
// Only change code below this line
    for (var i = 0; i < contacts.length; i++) {
        if (contacts[i]["firstName"] == name) {
            if (contacts[i]["firstName"] == name && contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop)) {
                return contacts[prop];
            } else {
                return "No such Property";
            }
        } else {
            return "No such contact";
        }
    }
// Only change code above this line
}

// Change these values to test your function
lookUpProfile("Akira", "likes");

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.142 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/profile-lookup

I think you have a capitalisation issue for There is no such property

Most importantly you have an if/else, if the else condition is false (as in contacts[i] doesn’t have that name) then the else is executed. Your code stops at first iteration because no matter what a return statement is executed and the other contacts are never checked

1 Like

Okay now I have 3/6 correct after correcting the capitalisation issue. I’ll try to solve the problem with your advice.

You are the best :facepunch:. Just completed it based on your advice.

Here was my solution

<redacted>

To avoid spoilers to new users we ask to avoid where possible to post full working solutions