Question about the Back End Dev cert

In the first lesson for package.json, it says:

When you are done, make sure a working demo of your project is hosted somewhere public

Is a repo on GitHub okay for that or does it mean something else?

Hello there,

No, a GitHub repo is not what this means. The tests need your app to be hosted - your full app. It does not just look at the text you have written. Basically, your app needs to be in the form you would give it to users - you would not care to use this forum if I just gave you access to the code on GitHub.

To expand: Many Campers do host their code on GitHub, but GitHub does not provide fullstack hosting. So, usually, the hosting provider integrates with GitHub.

Some free options for hosting are: Replit, CodeSandbox, Glitch, and Heroku

Hope this helps

That’s what I thought. I’ve heard of Heroku but I’ll have to hold off on this course until I have time to learn what I need for Heroku. That stinks because I’ve already done a lot of node.js, npm, and package.json work, so I figured I could finish it quickly.

Thanks!

Well, you still can without using Heroku. That is why the challenges give a quick link to use Replit. Although, you can also import code from GitHub into Replit.

If you want to learn how to deploy from GitHub to Heroku, though, then it would be a useful learning experience.

Happy coding

This article walks you through how to deploy apps to heroku

I have no idea what Replit is but I’ll look into that - thanks!

Thanks - I’ll take a look at that as well.