I’m a data analysis who writes SQL and uses Excel all day, but recently I’ve started to get into web development. So far I’ve learned HTML and CSS and I’m going to be starting Java soon, but I had questions about the future of my learning. It would be nice to eventually leave my day job and make enough money doing web site design to support myself financially, but I’m not sure of the prospects of that.
My particular questions are below. NOTE: There are a lot of questions, but you don’t need to answer them all. Any responses would be appreciated.
- Is it okay just being a front-end developer? I haven’t started learning about the back end, but I really enjoy client-side coding.
- Will I potentially limit myself if I don’t learn back end development?
- I kind of suck at design (maybe not— I just don’t enjoy it). In the real world are developers presented with a design that they have to replicate or are they expected to take things from raw ideas to fully developed pages?
- Do front-end developers design everything from scratch or are templates used and updated? If templates are used, should I spend some of my time working on reverse engineering templates?
- How did you get started in freelance web development? I was considering volunteering my services for free to get a few live sites up and running then branching out. Is that how it works?
Thank you for your time