Random Quote Machine using React locally

I’ve completed my Random Quote Machine using React locally. The quote machine that I’ve created passes all of the tests. However, the issue that I’m experiencing is pasting a publicly available URL into the solution link. How should I go about doing this?

Thanks, your input is appreciated.

The browser that I’m using is:

Google Chrome: Version 88.0.4324.150 (Official Build) (x86_64)

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 11_2_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.150 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Random Quote Machine

Link to the challenge:

This might be an obvious question, but do you have your random quote machine hosted on a server in which you can access the application via a URL?

If you have the project in github then I believe you can use “github pages” to give it a URL to your application. Or you can use a variety of free servers to host your application. I have used surge.sh to host some of mine. It is extremely easy to upload your files from your desktop.

No, I haven’t done that but I do have my random quote machine on Github. How would I go about using Github to get a public URL?

GitHub Pages

Disclaimer: I have never used github pages so if you need help with that then hopefully someone else can jump in here.

I would suggest Netlify or Codesandbox. But any site that lets you host the static build output will work (with some caveats, e.g. routing).

I had difficulty getting Netlify to work, as well as Github Pages. However, I did eventually use Codesandbox which enabled me to pass on to the next project. I will continue to look into how to use Github pages and if I come across a tutorial I will post it here.

1 Like

Congrats on getting it done!

Yeah, when you get to this point, these kinds of things are kind of a struggle. Unfortunately, there’s no easy bridge between the FCC material and putting together and hosting a “real” site. But just remember that with these struggles you are learning a lot.

Here is the tutorial I found on how to deploy a React App to GitHub Pages.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.