Responsive Web Design Updates

the certification is the same, the projects are the same, if you complete in Legacy they appear completed in the new one and viceversa

1 Like

Great! New curriculum is awesome, I hope other courses will be updated soon in a similar way :grinning:

1 Like

I started FCC with the legacy program and now have completed the updated program. I love the new design. its easier to learn this way for me at least. I cant wait for them all to be updated. thank you

1 Like

Make sure your are login for the most part because if you are not login you still can code and edit but just that you can’t safe for that specific session, Hope that helps!.

2 Likes

I guess I’m really late to figuring out that I’m on the old curriculum… I’d like to switch to the new one but I don’t wanna start from the very beginning? I just started with the “Applied Accessiblity” unit. Is there a good jumping off point in the new curriculum that matches (roughly) where I’m at now?

1 Like

not really, the new curriculum is structured differently

1 Like

As I have completed the legacy course in full and now I am going through the new course, I can say I like the new design better. I am learning new things from the new course, although the legacy one is fully completed. However, I feel that the new course does not focus that much on certain aspects compared to the legacy one. For example, I feel Flexbox was explained much better in the legacy course, with more information on it that I found helpful. The new course model only gives you one example of justify-content and align-items, whereas the legacy course gave you the full list of options for these two properties and gave you the freedom to experiment with it. Apart from that, I love it!

2 Likes

before when u click the free code camp logo there was a button at the top of all the challenges that was to go to ur challenge, will u add it again. Cos it was handy

1 Like

me to but i just started again from the beginning, its not that bad. The new one is good, in different ways.

1 Like

I see I am not alone. I have just finished ‘Applied Visual Design’ and as I was about to break for the day (and go google wtf bezier curve is :laughing:) I see this notification telling me to go where the course that will be certified is or something like that.
I think I’ll do both of them at the same time or at least I’ll test what I have learned in legacy by going through the new one.

1 Like

This one feels like science in the lab with practicals and the other one (legacy) is just normal class.
I am enjoying the new course more but I think the legacy is needed too for the theory aspect of it.

I have not finished either. I am making the cafe menu on the new one and legacy I had just finished applied visual design.

1 Like

the new interface is awesome, makes me want to code everyday for hours on end

1 Like

one error remains with the quote "TEST TIMED OUT "
even all code is fine and working fine but the freecodecamps code editor returns at least one error with the same above quote,

1 Like

I would like to point out a very important thing, that new course is probably missing.
While practice is a good way to create a knowledge, we memorize much more information and operate with it more effective when we are building a net/map of knowledge. I.e. Just remembering list of various tags like h1,small,strong,button is harder, than grouping them like: interactable: button, texts:h1,small,strong and so on. Furthermore, we strengthen our knowledge map by building logic flow: we build relations, and knowledge with more relations is memorized stronger. Relations are built by asking questions such as “why is it important” “how does it relate to other things” “how can i apply this” “why do i need this” and so on. I.e: h1 relates to group “texts”, small and strong are different - […], also small and strong are similar - they relates to “texts”, why do i need h1 tag? to make this part of text very important, how texts and interactable and related to each other? they both are a part of “tags” group […]. You can already draw a picture of that.
Most of the time this process is automatic and we are not aware of it. If you try to think of something what you already know very good, you will see, that this knowledge stored in a similar way in your head.
So tunnel vision without big picture hurts learning. Old course helped with building big picture a little better than new course, though they both are somewhat bad in that way. With new course you have to do it on your own as i see:
Lets look at first the task of legacy and new courses.
Legacy:

• *Do you see the code in your code editor that says <h1>Hello</h1> ? That’s an HTML element.
  • Most HTML elements have an opening tag and a closing tag.
  • The only difference between opening and closing tags is the forward slash after the opening bracket of a closing tag.

New:

• HTML elements have opening tags like <h1> and closing tags like </h1> .

Legacy course provides us with the information what can be HTML element, it says that most (=not all) elements have closing tags. And it says how opening and closing relates to each other. While new course gives us zero info what can be html tag, do they all have closing tags, can closing tags exist in other way than just </h1>? We just get a single, isolated fact. People who doesn’t know how to build a big picture, will need more repetitions and much more practice.

2 Likes

I am completely lost and only on Step 9, I had the same issues with the app SoloLearn. There was very little actual help if you’re stuck, only hints. I have never coded in my life and know nothing about any of this.

1 Like

If you have a question about a specific challenge as it relates to your written code for that challenge, just click the Ask for Help button located on the challenge. It will create a new topic with all code you have written and include a link to the challenge also. You will still be able to ask any questions in the post before submitting it to the forum.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I do not see an ask for help option anywhere

1 Like

It appears in the editor after a few attempts.

2 Likes

I saw the updated course and decided to check it out. I’ve been working through the first few lessons, and I noticed the use of a few <div>s here and there. The Rothko painting, however, used a lot of them.

Is the practice of using the newer elements like <section>, <article>, <header>,<footer>, etc., preferred over <div>? I keep seeing articles on this when googling HTML & CSS references. It’s kind of confusing.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is a semantic element for “piece of drawing”, so in that case divs are fine

2 Likes