Resume review for an entry level web developer with no experience[just out of bootcamp]

I recently completed a fullstack developer course from a coding bootcamp, and created my first resume. I’m actually 18, and I have little to zero experience in the real world, just a few small projects and a portfolio. So I was wondering if anyone could help me and let me know if what I have setup on my resume is good enough or not. Here’s an image of my resume:

1 Like

I think it looks pretty good.

A few things…

Your profile…

it’s just a bunch a platitudes. If I read that, I just get the same things that everyone would say about themselves. Everyone describes themselves as “passionate”. They will decide if they think you are “qualified” - what does that even mean? Are you qualified for everything?

I’d rather hear what kind of stack you work on, what kind of job you want… If you were on an elevator with a hiring manager and were given 5-10 seconds to sum up what you want to tell him, what would you tell him? And there is a weird gap between the words “junior” and “web”.

Your experience…

Is that work experience? I would expect that to be jobs that you’ve worked. Are those just projects?

Also, the formatting is inconsistent in this section?

I’m not a big fan of including a photo, but that can depend on your country. If that is common in your country? Also, is that a “professional” photo? Again, a lot of that will depend on your culture. That may be a common workplace attire for a developer (heck, in some places you’d be overdressed) but in some business cultures, putting a headshot in a cap and a sweatshirt might be offputting. I’d want to risk being too formal than not enough. But again, it depends on where you are. (And to be honest, I’m probably overly formal about these things.)

2 Likes

I’d think about your current use of space.

Roughly 25% of it is spent on listing the skills, which also appear under your experience area.

Also the biggest core part of your resume besides projects is your bootcamp experience, which currently is in the corner and kind of hidden. I might move that above your high-school as its more relevant.

Generally when it comes to resume writing, most people who review it only spend a few seconds going over it, and thus the first half of your resume under your header (which is usually glossed over automatically) is your summary and whatever you put under your summary.

As such, you’d want to put your most compelling “evidence” as to why you should get the job at the start of your summary (if you have one) and whatever is under your summary.

In this case as you have a “split” layout, your basically looking at profile/summary and then your first project.

However your first project is actually the least impressive project, as its a github, with no actual running code, and an e-commerce store that only uses HTML/CSS/JS and boostrap.

Your most impressive project is actually the real-estate app, which is at the bottom. Mainly because it uses full-stack technologies, and looks to have a running demo.

I’d flip around your order, and analyze the space your using a bit to make sure you’re keeping things focused.

Finally, I’d agree with what is said above, your summary/profile section has some questionable qualities about it. Your second sentence is: “My main aim is not only to problem solve, but help bridge the gap between end-users and businesses”.

The issue with this may be that you’re more or less stating the minimum requirements of most jobs anyways. You might want to “tilt” it.

For example if I asked you: “why should I hire you over that other person over there? for this job?” If you answer with this statement you’d be more re-stating the bare minimum requirements of the job, and thus not stand out.

Where-as if you highlight what you focus on, or are passionate about, or what you bring to the table, you might be able to carve out an angle why you get hired of that other person.

I usually give the analogy that resume building is a sales skill. You’re essentially selling your skills. As with any sale, you want to understand your audience’s needs, and provide information on how what you’re selling will solve those needs. The more accurately you determine who you’re selling to, and the more accurately your skills (what your selling) lines up, the higher chances you’ll have.

Good luck, keep learning, keep building :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.