Share you goal-setting tips and tricks

I’ll start with some details. I’ve completed everything up to the full-stack projects, and I’m ready to start job hunting while I’m working on those. I basically got nothing done coding-wise during winter vacation due to being so busy with life, and I’m having a hard time getting back into the swing of things.

So anyways, I heard that some personal goal-setting can really help you stay organized and motivated. I’d like to hear your tips, whether it’s examples of your own personal goals, apps that you use to stay on track, or whatever!

I think setting a personal goal is actually the most important thing you can do to help you follow through. I can say without an ounce of hyperbole that it completely changed my life. Here are a few tips of the top of my head:

• When you have what you think is your goal, use 5 whys to find your real goal.
  • Find a goal that strikes a balance between compelling and achievable. It should be sufficiently life-changing to push you forward while also being achievable enough to feel like it’s within reach.
  • Find ways to remind yourself of your goal. Write a reminder on a sticky note about what you’re trying to achieve and stick it to your computer monitor. Put up pictures that represent the outcome you want. If you do work journaling, write something about your goal with each entry you make.
  • Take time to daydream about your goal. My goal was to move to Seattle. I would frequently jump on Craigslist and do fantasy apartment shopping for my new home (even though I didn’t have the means to make it a reality)

Hope that helps. Good luck!

1 Like