Should I Consider Applying for Internships

I almost spent 2 years to learn web development. I don’t have a degree and I am not enrolled in any CS related courses. This year I started to fcc curriculum so that I can build projects and get out of tutorial hell. After 8 months I got the 6 of the certificates(I decided not to start QA one since backend one was outdated). Now I have couple of fullstack projects in my mind and I am currently working on one of them. I am thinking about learning more about nextjs /reactjs and do fullstack projects over the couple of months.

So, I am hearing about layoffs and how bad the crisis affected the developers and I am worrying about not being able to land a job. I think I got over the imposter syndrome but economy ended my hope. Do you think applying for internships is a good idea to increase my chances?

My portfolio - https://f4rukyldrm.netlify.app/

I’m not really aware of many internship opportunities for people who aren’t currently university students.

Theres the above, and then I dont see how it could be a negative for you. Internships are good because they give you experience, but thats if you can find one. Theres no downside, except the internship you apply for is not approved. Applying is not going to put you in a worse spot than when you didnt apply

1 Like

I mean unpaid internship. I didn’t saw paid internship for self taught developers but I think it wouldn’t be a problem where I won’t get paid.

You should not take an unpaid internship. Unpaid internships are exploitation.

1 Like

I can imagine that but I don’t really have hope for getting a job any sooner.

An unpaid internship isn’t going to give you a job.

I thought it would be something that I could show as an experience.

An experience of someone else profiting off your work while giving you “exposure”, sure.

You could instead start applying to jobs that actually pay money while continuing to working on improving your skills.

If you are good enough for someone to want to employ you, you should try to get money for that work. If you aren’t yet skilled enough for someone to employ you, its going to be hard to find someone to train you for free.

3 Likes

You are right. By the way there is not many job opportunies in my country and I am not really fluent in English. Do you think I would have a chance with remote jobs(in US or Europe).

Jobs that cross borders are hard to make work. It really depends upon the laws in your country and the country where the company is based.

Rather than an unpaid internship, if you want real experience of contributing to real projects and collaborating, try contributing to open source. That would be good experience to have on a cv.

It’s also something you can start doing straight away without anything blocking you.

1 Like

I never think about that. I should research it.
Thank you for your time. I will stick with looking for paying jobs.

Rather than an unpaid internship, if you want real experience of contributing to real projects and collaborating, try contributing to open source. That would be good experience to have on a cv.

I have looked into some of the open-source projects, and I couldn’t really found something that I can work. Instead I am thinking about making my projects open-source.

So on the subject of paid interships, here’s an opportunity: Infrastructure Intern at theblock | Rethinkable

I applied to it myself :slight_smile: