Should I still Follow Python for Everybody Legacy Course?

Python for Everybody was the only course that seemed to be geared towards complete brand spanking new beginners. I’m now seeing people say that “Scientific Computing with Python” is the one to start with, but that’s labeled as a certification course and doesn’t have lectures. Is that really the one I’m supposed to start with?

Even though “Python for Everybody” is legacy and the videos are 4 years old is it still worth taking? Is the information in them out of date now?

Welcome to the forum!

The format of the legacy course is different with its videos and multiple choice tests. You might get more out of the interactive style of the new course.

However it’s not wrong to look at the legacy version for some basics when you have the time. Yes, four years old already, that’s a long time in computing. You will have to cross-check with the current version of Python to be sure not to take in deprecated knowledge.

From the looks of it the legacy course and scientific computing course both use Python 3 but different sub versions. Is there a big difference Python 3.8 (what I think the video lectures use) and 3.12 now?

Check this list

Of special note are the changes in datetime.
This is just from the last version, there’s probably a lot more since 3.8.

You won’t break too much and you can even make an venv using 3.8 for any legacy projects.

It’s probably coming with working in IT that you are always thinking in versions and staying up to date, can be a curse sometime.

I think I prefer the video lecture style and being able to see someone else do what im doing or at least talk through it over just reading text. I’ll probably stick with the legacy series til I feel more comfortable. At least for now. So far there’s been no conflict with versions covered in the video and the newest release. The guy does use Atom to code in which isn’t supported anymore but that hasn’t effected my ability to follow along…yet.

The way its labeled right now there doesn’t appear to be a clear definition of what the beginner python course would be. Is the idea that you would go through things in order starting with “Responsive Web Design” then “JavaScript Algorithms…” etc before getting to Python? Does the Scientific Data course assume prior knowledge of HTML or Java since those courses come first?

Scientific Computing with Python does not require any previous knowledge

1 Like