Should I study towards a CS degree?

I am turning 22 next month, and for the longest time, I have been confused about what to do with myself. I gained an interest in web development and completed my first FCC certificate, when I started with the Data Structure and algorithms I was stuck. I needed more help but couldn’t afford a Bootcamp. So I last year I applied for a learnership in System development I’ve learned a lot and now I know that I want to be in HCI. So I applied to study part-time at a long-distance university doing a BSc in Computer Science and Psychology after I’ve completed my internship at one of the banks in my country as a junior dev in 2021… I can afford to go back full time to varsity, and I can’t afford a prestigious long-distance university. Will doing the degree be a waste of time? I genuinely believe that taking the two majors will help me do better in building software for people, and I’m upskilling on the side (javascript, node, react, hackerrank etc…)…but I’m not sure if there is another route. Please advice I really want to be successful

1 Like

Hey @NommiVibes!

I don’t think getting a computer science degree is a waste of time. If you can afford it then definitely go. Some people might disagree but I think there is a lot of value in a cs degree.

I think that is totally normal. I am not that much older than you (I’m 29) and when I was in my early 20’s I was trying to adult and figure things out as well. (Still trying to figure things out :smile:)

I am learning how to code on my own but going back to university is not an option for me. If it is an option for you I think it will be very beneficial and a lot of employers still value a degree. You can still build side projects and work through the FCC curriculum. You might be a little time crunched since it sounds like you are pursuing a duel degree but it is definitely possible.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

If getting a degree in CS is an option that is available to you, and one that you’re excited about, then I definitely encourage you to go for it. I started my CS degree when I was about the same age and I do not regret it at all.

2 Likes

Thank you a bunch. Getting this adult thing right is…challenging but we got this

2 Likes

I just see a lot of comments online about importance of where you get it from. Which made me super nervous cause my university isn’t in the best in South Africa ( University Of South Africa) but the only one which allows me to study while looking for a job if I’m not taken at the company I will be interning in. Idk just don’t want to make a reckless move after studying so hard.

I don’t have any insight on the hiring practices in South Africa, so I don’t know how much employers nay care where your degree is from. Setting that aside, I would suggest looking at the course offerings at your school and think about whether that indicates a program that’s worth your time and money.

1 Like