So I got my first job as a front-end web developer

Hehe, no worries Ric.I don’t know what they saw on the news, but over here in the US we know the Israelis are master hackers, that is probably why they hired you :wink:

Hopefully my joke is apparent. Congrats again on the job <3

4 Likes

Thanks man, your words are really encouraging for those of us that want to get a job as web developers and grow on our professional careers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m interested in a follow up … how are the first couple weeks going?

2 Likes

haven’t started yet :smile:
my first day will be Wed next week.

2 Likes

Thanks @TinyRick88, that’s really useful. Keep us posted, and best of luck in your new job!

2 Likes

Congrats!

Having been interviewed and also interviewed many programmers over the years, nothing impresses quite like actually knowing something about the company …

…that shows initiative (I’m sure one job I interviewed for was helped tremendously by that – well, that and answering a question which referred to a technique I knew could be done in calculus, even though I didn’t remember what it was)…at the time, there was no Web, there was barely an Internet – I had to do my research at the library.

They needed embedded system programmers for something called a “line width measuring machine” (used – at the time – in the semiconductor industry.)

And I know at another company (with a whole slew of MIT folks) – we turned down a recent MIT grad and I remember it having a LOT to do with her really not knowing what our company did. (Interestingly, before I interviewed, I did research on them … but considering one of the managers called me up at 7:00am in the morning, and my phone was ringing off the hook … [dot com days, gotta love 'em] – and I also had an interview and then offer from Microsoft – they were more interested in my interest in the specific position, as it wasn’t formally a development position. :wink:

In fact, i really didn’t understand what a line-width measuring machine was at the time, either! But I did know what both companies did, even if I didn’t understand it …and enough to act interested and ask questions!

6 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for the advice and for sharing your story. Knowing that many campers have had success finding work inspires all of us to keep going!

1 Like

Congratulations! that is really exciting!

3 Likes

First of all Congrats TinyRick88. Thanks for your valuable suggestions and experience which gives boost to all of us. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yesterday I read this post and I did as you wrote, I dived into the quote generator project and today I finished it. I got very much experience in using apis, analyzing with json, JQUERY and many other things that I found useful on the Web. Thanks a lot and good luck with your job!

3 Likes

Good Job man and congratulations! Your perseverance has given me an extra boost of motivation. :slight_smile: Sincerely, Andrew

2 Likes

TinyRick88,

Congrats on the success. Hope your learn a lot on your first job.

Jennifer

2 Likes

Now, how was your 1st day :grinning:
Congrats btw!

2 Likes

Absolutely awesome @TinyRick88 !!! Congrats! Thank you for sharing. We all are watching you, so keep pushing forward CodeCampBro. :smile:

1 Like

well :slight_smile: I’ve found out that the only people who know code are myself and another senior developer which he is also in charge of me. this guy is no joke. he knows like 10 different languages but officially, I’m the only front-end developer at the moment.
there are 2 more developers but they working from home and only when they needed.

so on my first day the senior developer showed me around, i met the guys, he showed me what he is working on and explain to me about some of the products. Then we tried to set up my work station but lots of stuff went wrong so i had to wait till the day after.

today, after 3 hours, my work station was ready and I’ve been asked to choose between Angular and React for some UI app that they want us to build. I looked it up but still haven’t got to a conclusion, i still try to understand which one should i learn and implement.

so we decided that the best is to start with some mock app just so i could get the general idea what we are dealing with.

also I think the managers (but not necessarily the senior guy) thinks I’m capable of more than i actually are.
I expected to work with some more experienced front-end developer and get my answers from them and help them with some more menial tasks. but honestly i dont think i’ve got the right to complain about such thing.

edit:

So today I’ve decided to give Angular a try since our senior developer knows the basics so i figure it will speed up the learning process for me . So if anyone here knows Angular and willing to help i’ll appreciate it a lot!

12 Likes

this the first time for me to write something here ( Congratulation !)

I am still in the beginning of my journey( probably long one :slight_smile:) So wish me lucky

good luck in your new position :smiley:

3 Likes

Congrats !!
I wish you the best of luck

2 Likes

Congratulations!! Good luck with new job!

3 Likes

Congratulations! :smile: Thanks for sharing your advice.

2 Likes

Gooooooooooooood :blush:

1 Like