#Struggling with consistency

Hello there, Just wanna share my struggle in learning Python, not that I’m incapable of learning, the problem is to be consistent everyday to learn and code. There are days when my emotion or self is so wretched to learn, but we need to be consistent because there is no other way. Just sharing my struggle because I don’t have someone to share this, my friends aren’t interested in coding, or maybe I’m just a type of person who don’t share my problem. Spreading support out there who have the same struggle with me !!! Happy to talk to everyone if someone needed too, just comment down below ! let’s support each other towards our programming journey !!!

8 Likes

First of all, thank you for sharing your struggles with consistency! I myself have struggled with burnout and consistency and I really beat myself up over it and tell myself that I’m just not good enough to ever be a programmer but we all know that’s just that little voice in the back of all ours heads that echo the doubt we have in ourselves.

It’s important to know that you’re not alone in these emotions and it’s even better to share them with others trying to master the unmasterable art of coding.

Kudos to you again and here’s to overcoming your self doubt :muscle:

3 Likes

Try not to set arbitrary goals for yourself if those aren’t attainable. If you can’t practice every day, don’t expect yourself to practice every day. Feeling shame or frustration because you can’t meet goal will only harm your learning journey.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing and your kind words ! ! !

Indeed, thank you for advice ! ! !

We are in the same boat, friend. Sometimes you will need to pause for one or two days, as everybody needs.
Take a weekend to play video games or some hobby, and don’t forget your friends and family.
Learning code is a very frustrating process, if you don’t have some days off, you will feel more and more struggle.

2 Likes

This is my problem too, but in my opinion sometimes perfectionism is our true enemy, and we should just give ourselves more time and be more confident and peaceful, consistency isn’t such a hard thing but yes it has a lot of importance and I think almost everybody has some struggle with that, you aren’t alone

1 Like

Well thank you for advice !!!

yo te entiendo me pasa igual me gusta la programación pero hay días que no quiero nada pero me acuerdo que alguien dio el consejo de los 30 minutos diarios y me pongo a codificar y cuando menos lo veo llevo 5 o 8 horas y me siento feliz por otra parte freecodecamp es adictivo y me encanta sigue persiste ponte tu meta y goza alcansandola suerte con tu aprendizaje
juan c Gómez COLOMBIA

1 Like

Lots of good advice, I’ll add my two cents: try experimenting with different study and practice methods. For example, I like to use books as a learning tool, I repeat the examples from there countless times going back and forth through the book, but sometimes I prefer to follow a video course and type along the way. Or, for example, try to come up with ideas for some smaller projects related to things that interest you and find the best way to complete them. Whatever you do, try to make things more dynamic and more interesting for yourself. And at the same time, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, mastering any skill takes effort and time, you have to trust the process. Good luck !

3 Likes

Pues gracias por el consejo Juan c Gómez!!!

Thank you for sharing. I’m also interested in coding and lack of consistency makes me feel i’m not qualified for the skill. However i keep encouraging my self that proficiency begin with struggle and a feeling of inadequacy. So keep on my friend, you’re not in it alone… greatness await us on the other side!!

2 Likes

Hi thanks for sharing! been struggling with consistency too and its kinda nice to know im not alone. I just come back after taking a long break 12days :see_no_evil:
and honestly its kinda itimidating to return but i also know if i wait more its gonna get more daunting to come back. :confounded:
But reminder its okay to take breaks here and there, let the brain rest and melt in all the information. :brain:

2 Likes

I am not struggling with consistency at the moment, but of course I have struggled to get consistent with things in the past so I hope my advice helps. I’d say learn to be consistent before you start coding. I don’t mean STOP learning to code, I mean make your plan of the day to do something(such as coding) for about five or ten minutes every day(start small). The more you have been consistent with doing small things the more you will see that you are able to accomplish a lot by doing these small things and the more happier you will be because of your success and the more interested you will become in coding. I hope I made sense. lol

3 Likes

I guess we all have issues like that on any level. Remember, it’s the journey that matters and not everybody has to run. It’s fine to take a walk if you don’t have to run :slight_smile:

1 Like

It make sense, thanks for sharing !

I use #100DaysOfCode to help me track and be accountable, either on twitter, or on FCC’s own discord server, there’s a spot there. I’m pretty new, but repeating from a few years ago, so haven’t had this come up as an issue, but feel like a ‘streak’ of days consistently working on code OR code-related learning, like a video, reading articles, doing lessons, projects, ideas for projects, etc. The 100 days # is supposed to be that you spend at least an hour, but in FCC, I’m calling it a day right now when I have a ‘white square’ for the day on my FCC profile. Also, recently learned of another couple of spaces for consistency & accountability/collaboration: wakatime.com (‘dashboard for devs’) & frontendmentor.com which is a slack space. Hth (hope that helps).

PS: also, if you are stuck / busy, give yourself some compassion, and then come up with a schedule that works.

1 Like

Hey , thanks for sharing . You are not alone. We all have those struggles. I learn coding after work and although I am super stubborn and manage to spend the time I want to I do feel burned out some times , or just don’t get a word of what I read. So don’t feel guilty just get a rest when you need i. Ibelieve we all learn , so we can do something good for ourselves , to feel better ,So there is no point of pushing yourself out of limit making yourself miserable. Now I should say that to myself too :relaxed: Good luck , you can do it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.