Supplement my learning or just build on? Advice Needed

Hi, I just completed the Responsive Web Design Course and I’m about to start my projects, beginning with the Tribute Page, although I completely understand everything I’ve learnt so far on FFC, I still kinda feel like I don’t know enough about the basics just yet (because sometimes I see some codes or methods I wasn’t taught in some code snippets on people’s projects). I’m not sure if I should just go ahead with my projects and trust that I’d learn everything else as I build or if I should supplement my learning first with another HTML/CSS Basics course from another platform.

I still kinda feel like I don’t know enough about the basics just yet

That is an extremely normal feeling at this point. It’s actually not uncommon after you’ve been doing this for a few years. Don’t worry about being perfect - just keep learning. A lot of learning this stuff is getting exposed to it, knowing what is possible, and knowing how to find the information when you need it. No one memorizes all this stuff.

I’m not sure if I should just go ahead with my projects and trust that I’d learn everything else as I build or if I should supplement my learning first with another HTML/CSS Basics course from another platform.

I think both of those and a third option - keep going with FCC.

I suggest you should continue on with the FCC program. It gives you a great basic understanding of a full stack, the MERN stack. This is a very useful and employable skill.

That being said, FCC is not comprehensive. It is a good idea to take a side quest here and there to dig deeper in a few things here and there. If you are left scratching your head about flex box, take a week and do some online tutorials, watch some youtube videos. But again, don’t worry about perfection - if you do, you’ll never get there.

Should you do another course? I’m sure there are some great courses out there, but I would worry this would be distracting and will keep you from your end goal.

Projects? I think having a side project is a good thing - it forces you to use your knowledge and keeps things interesting. At that point you’re kind of doing self-directed learning. But that can be a dangerous thing because we often stay in our comfort zones. And without a breadth of knowledge you don’t really know where to go.

I recommend putting your head down and getting through the FCC course. There will be projects you have to do for that. And being forced to do a project that someone else dreams up is a good skill. That’s what work is like - we don’t get to choose what we build and often don’t get to choose the tech stack.

So, I would say - push forward and do some side learning or reading if you want, as long as it doesn’t distract from the goal of getting through the whole program and getting the forest level view that that gives you. You will have to build projects along the way and then when you finish the program you’ll be ready to build some of your own projects. That’s perhaps the most important part of the learning process, but you need an understanding of the fundamentals before you get there.

2 Likes

Another thing I did while learning was to keep a notepad next to my computer. If I ran into a topic that I thought i should learn more deeply, I made a note - html forms, regex, recursion, the reduce prototype method - those were a few of the many things that ended up on that list. Then I could come back and look a little more in depth. But I kept pushing forward with the program, wanting to get to the end and get that forest level view.

2 Likes